We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bedford England to Florence...

Aptos, California
1 post
Save Topic
Bedford England to Florence...

What is the most DIRECT way from Bedford England to Florence Itay

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,515 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bedford England to Florence...

Flight from Luton to Pisa. Bus or train to Florence (or fly from Stansted if that is more convenient.)

You can the train from Bedford to Luton Airport Parkway and then shuttle to the airport. If driving, I know a good car park close to the terminal. Send me a message if you want further information. (click on my name and it will take you to the right page.)

UK
Level Contributor
378 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bedford England to Florence...

Or you could go LGW to FLR with Meridiana - www.meridiana.it - it's direct to Florence airport and not Pisa.

Flying to Pisa is cheaper but once you land at Pisa, you have to then get either a bus or train from Pisa to travel the (about) 60 miles to Florence, whereas landing at Florence airport puts you only about 6 miles away from the city centre.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,515 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bedford England to Florence...

.....but it takes 2 hrs to get to Gatwick and you only save 40 mins by arriving at FLR rather than Pisa.

Each to his own.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,671 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bedford England to Florence...

Also, the airport bus from Florence Airport costs €6, and the train from Pisa Airport costs less than £1 UK more at €7.10

While a train from Bedford to Luton Airport costs £9.90 anytime second day single, and to Gatwick Airport costs £33.90

So not only are Meridiana's flight costs higher, but transfer costs are nearly £50 higher for a return journey.

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bedford England to Florence...

Ah, but there is a joy that comes from landing in Peretola, only a few, easy minutes from the center of Florence, that I never get landing in Pisa, where you never know exactly what you are going to find.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,671 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bedford England to Florence...

Each to his or her own again, but I'd find much more joy in avoiding Gatwick and in particular avoiding a train ride through the heart of London on trains that can be standing room only.

Or even worse, a drive all the way around the M 25 and the Gatwick car parking.

Edited: 2:57 am, September 23, 2012
Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,515 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bedford England to Florence...

Understand what you are saying, Tomaso, but the convenience of a 20 min bus ride is hardly worth £100+, in my opinion. Also, not sure what you mean by 'never know exactly what you are going to find.'. I always find a bus waiting to take me to Florence, and you?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,647 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bedford England to Florence...

Train Bedford to Luton airport www.firstcapitolconnect.co.uk

Flights Luton airport to Pisa www.easyjet.com

Pisa airport to Florence Bus www.terravision.eu orTrain www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html Check train times over the next seven days.

Aptos, California
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Bedford England to Florence...

Thanks so much for the suggestions and comments! I looked into booking a flight with www.easyjet.com but it seems to be fully booked for our travel date early next year. Do you think it is truly booked so far in advance? If so, www.meridiana.it may be our only option.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,315 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bedford England to Florence...

Or how about the Air France owned service out of London City, which also takes you direct to Florence? I have no idea what the public transport connections are like in the UK with that airport but it's a terrific flight, a very quiet, easy to negotiate airport to fly out of (ie a world apart from LGW) and it's so much easier arriving direct into Florence as Tomaso says. I'm not keen on Pisa either nor the trip into Florence from there.