We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving Florence for a day, where to go???

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving Florence for a day, where to go???

My husband and I want to leave Florence for maybe just the afternoon. We would like to check out a cool old town and then visit a winery. Any suggestions where to go and a winery recommendation close to it?

albuquerque
Level Contributor
972 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving Florence for a day, where to go???

I can't help with the winery, but Lucca is a great day trip from Florence.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving Florence for a day, where to go???

Take a little local bus out of Florence to Fiesole, up the hill. Lovely area, you could spend the whole day there if you explored it all. Has a ruin (a Roman theatre), restaurants, a view to die for, shops, and a town plaza where the bus comes in and out.

Or take a regional bus to Siena.

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving Florence for a day, where to go???

There are no vineyards in or around Lucca, which is west of Florence. The closest are way up in the hills in Ghizzano, which is not easy to get to.

There also are no vineyards I know of in Fiesole, which is north of Florence.

Vineyards tend to be south of Florence - in the Chianti Valley on the way to Siena, and south of Siena.

If you only have an afternoon, you are really limited. You might think about San Casciano in Val di Pesa, which is at the very northern end of Chianti, just a few miles sough of Florence - and there are lots of vineyards in the area.

4. Re: Leaving Florence for a day, where to go???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, December 13, 2013