We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting a mobile phone on Florence

Tokyo, Japan
7 posts
Save Topic
renting a mobile phone on Florence

Hi

We will we staying in a phone-less apartment in Florence for about a week and want to rent a mobile, or use a friend's UK mobile while we are there-does anyone have any advice?

thanks

kellyspeake

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
310 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renting a mobile phone on Florence

Hope my post does not come too late. On our recent trip to Italy, I went ahead and purchased an inexpensive cell phone and a SIM chip with my own phone number. It was invaluable during our stay. I am now planning a trip to France, and I will use this same phone and just buy a SIM chip for France when I arrive.

I think that most phones on the Continent use these SIM chips, so borrowing your friend's phone could be a less expensive option. Buy Sim cards at any cellular phone store, perhaps even at tabac shops. They come with a unique phone number and pre-paid minutes that are somewhat reasonably priced. Very reasonable for calls within Italy.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
France
France
Europe
Connecticut
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: renting a mobile phone on Florence

A GSM phone that supports the European bandwidths and is not SIM locked will work fine. I have US T-Mobile and never have a problem. I pay $0.99USD per minute. The only downside is that is the rate even if I make local calls.

The other option is to take your own GSM phone, and buy time on a SIM card from a local carrier at a phone store. I have not done this as yet, so I dont know the total cost.

Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: renting a mobile phone on Florence

HI, I will be in italy, spain and france. can i buy one sim card for all 3 countries, or does it have to be a different sim card for each country?

thankyou.