We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spain to italy

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Harrogate, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
spain to italy

How do my friend and i get to florence from barcelona by train? we have eurail passes

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,929 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: spain to italy

There's a night train to Milan, which I believe has very expensive passholder fares, then from Milan there are many fast trains to Florence for a €10 reservation fee.

Otherwise, you have to make your way slowly around the coast, via Montpellier, Marseille, Nice, Genoa, Pisa. reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en? will give you options. And seat61.com/Railpass-and-Eurail-pass-guide.htm will give you advice about how to use your passes and find trains.

If you didn't have a pass, by far the best way from Barcelona to Florence is a cheap flight to Pisa by Vueling or EasyJet.

Edited: 5:59 pm, June 14, 2012
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,917 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spain to italy

Assuming you pre-book a month or so ahead, the fares for the excellent Elipsos trenhotel Barceona-Milan are exactly the same as the supplement you'd pay with a pass - €74 with a bed in a 4-bed sleeper (€93 in summer). Makes you wonder why anyone buys a pass!

Otherwise, to avoid having to fly, there are good cruise ferries from Barcelona to genoa and Barceona to Livorno or Civittavecchia (near Rome), see www.gnv.it and www.grimaldi-lines.com/en

Ottawa, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: spain to italy

How long a train ride from Barcelona, Spain to Pisa, Italy? How many Euros would it cost approximately???

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spain to italy

@ jnd960 - With e.g. Eurail pass (covering travel in so many countries for so many days out of a certain period), nothing on top of the cost of the pass (which varies according to what you chose), unless taking night trains or high-speed trains.

Using individual tickets, it depends on which trains are being taken, given that there are choices to be made between high-speed (in which it also depends on how far in advance you can book)/non-high speed, day/night train, and if night train, what sort of accommodation you choose. The Man in Seat 61 has already given a cost for night train Barcelona-Milan in #2! For Milano Centrale to Pisa Centrale (changing in Florence or sometimes Genova), times vary from 3h18 to 3h52 depending on types of train, and costs for tomorrow vary from €33 to €57.80.

Barcelona to Pisa by train can take anything from 17h15 to 27 hrs, and the number of changes from 3 (aforesaid night train followed by e.g. Milan-Florence and Florence-Pisa) to 7. You can look on http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en for an idea of times and routes and then check prices for the trains you might find convenient, on the dates on which you want to travel, on the websites for Spanish (http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros), possibly French and/or Italian Railways (http://www.trenitalia.com).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,534 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spain to italy

jnd960.....foget the train. Fly with Vueling. It'll be cheaper and WAY easier.

Ottawa, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: spain to italy

I live in Canada. I am flying to Barcelona already. I don't want to fly again to another city. I wanted to take the train to Pisa. if you know the answer to that question, that would be wonderful.

Ottawa, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: spain to italy

thanks so much for the information! It will take much longer than I had anticipated.... :( Hmmm.... ok. I am going to Spain this summer, so I want to have things to maul over up until that time....

thanks again.

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: spain to italy

One of us here at Artviva took the most excellent overnight train from Barcelona to Milan just last summer. It was divine.

Do know that, despite reservations made well in advance, the boat from Livorno to Barcelona, and then back, were both cancelled -- virtually last minute. Both were re-routed to Civitavecchia (which is Rome's port, and not near Tuscany). Not only were they re-routed, but the return date -- booked well in advance -- was no longer available, allowing for either a shortened or elongated stay, neither of which appealed. In short, it was a petite nightmare.

Our advice: be careful.

Edited: 3:27 pm, April 10, 2013
9. Re: spain to italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 12, 2014