We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic fines in italy

Perth
12 posts
Save Topic
Traffic fines in italy

I've just received three traffic infringement fines while travelling through Italy in a Hertz hire car. The fines arrived 12 months after we were there.

One was for 'driving in a limited traffic area without authorisation' and tow 'circulated on roads reserved for other vehicles and indicated by traffic signs'.

On all occasions I used GPS for directions so find it hard to believe that am responsible for these infringements.

The company collecting the money is Nivi Credit and fines total 300 euros.

Do anyone know if this is a scam?

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
141. Re: Traffic fines in italy

Explained in # 133.

Geneva, Switzerland
3 posts
Save Reply
142. Re: Traffic fines in italy

done, thanks.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
3 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
143. Re: Traffic fines in italy

For us itwasnotascam, except by the governments .

It turns out that Florence gets som 54 million dollars per year from these fines so they have a real interest in making this money from us tourists.

paid in that the threat of increases got my attention,but the taste in my. moouth for Italy is very bad. I may never go there again, particularly on my own. Weha. 5 in our party and all got at least one ticket!

Sorry, but this is what I found out.

Jim

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,936 posts
Save Reply
144. Re: Traffic fines in italy

And, you have an actual breakdown that shows how much the fines were from tourists vs people who live there?

Same old blame game - there are actually photographs that are taken that show the license plate so it is not like they are giving out tickets off the top of their heads.

Again - if someone is going to drive in another place than where they live - take 5 minutes and read up on the rules and laws of that place instead of coming back later and blaming it on everyone else when a ticket is received. So tiresome.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,180 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
145. Re: Traffic fines in italy

It just goes on and on. Why can't people actually do a little research? Maybe actually "read a book."

JIm....you have no one to blame but yourself. You clearly didn't research the laws of the land in the place that you were visiting. But, No, because you didn't, the Italian government is "out to get you" and it is all of Italy's fault.

Do you think that the government is "out to get you" when you get caught breaking the law in Idaho as well?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,246 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
146. Re: Traffic fines in italy

This information is from 2009, but is still relevant:

>>In 2007 the Florence municipality issued 858,506 tickets.

About 420,000 tickets were issued to Florentines; 330,000 to non-Florentine Italians; about 100,000 to non-Italians.<<

Turin
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
147. Re: Traffic fines in italy

Jim this is your second post since March on the same subject and still you can't explain why it is a scam.

Did you and your friends enter the ZTL or not? Was there a ZTL sign before the camera or not? That's all.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
148. Re: Traffic fines in italy

Scams?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187768-i20-k69211…

Edited: 5:33 am, October 31, 2013
149. Re: Traffic fines in italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, October 31, 2013
150. Re: Traffic fines in italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, October 31, 2013