We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sending credit card details

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,234 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Sending credit card details

I need advice, folks. I have been asked by the owners of a B&B (not in Florence) to send them credit card details to confirm a booking. They do not have a secure payment site.

I have read on here (I think) that the best way is to send the number in two parts in two separate emails. Is this a good solution or should I do by post?

All help welcomed

Thanks, P.

UK
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sending credit card details

We always send them by fax.

United States
Level Contributor
9,589 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sending credit card details

I have never had any problems sending my details in either one or two emails. Sometimes if it's new place, I will "code" my number by making a letter/number substitution, L for 1 or O for zero and send the "code" in a separate email but recently I've just sent the details.

TAB

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,375 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sending credit card details

My husband who works in IT always says emails are as secure as a postcard, so it really is not a good idea to send the full details in one mail. Like Joanna I always send credit card details by fax or actually telephone to give them. I have also read people saying send them as two separate emails, but if someone has hacked an account and is reading the emails, they would probably get both parts in the end anyway. I'm sure most of the time accounts are not being watched and it would be fine, but it seems like an unnecessary risk.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,234 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sending credit card details

Thanks for the advice. I have sent two emails.

Grazie.

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sending credit card details

Hi Pericoloso -

You did exactly what we (and others) would (and have) advised.

If you like the B&B, and if it's in Tuscany, please provide us with an update after your stay.

E buona vacanza!

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,234 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sending credit card details

It's actually in Venice, for next April. I have six loooooong weeks until I come back to my beloved Florence. Non vedo l'ora.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sending credit card details

I work in IT and can confirm you should NEVER send credit card details by email. email is not secure, and it's not meant to be.

Like a post card it can be seen by anyone on the way to it's destination, but worse than a post card it can leave a trace all the way.

fax and phone is ok, post is not too bad, but email is NOT secure.

Jerusalem, Israel
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sending credit card details

@186394Tony,

Thanks for your advise. In case no other way is possible, does sending the information in two seperate emails makes things a little better? like the full information is more hard to catch?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sending credit card details

yes it would be more difficult, in a similar way as sending the information on two post cards would be more difficult. but still not secure.

do they not accept PayPal? that's secure

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sending credit card details

All of the above answers are probably right. I always use a credit card that has a strict $2,000 'limit' for securing my reservations. Of course the back up is that the card is only used to "hold" the reservation...I never use it to pay for the stay, and I never inform the card bank that I'm going to be in Italy. (and I in fact leave it in the USA while in Italy) Which means that if anyone tries to use the card number, it simply won't work. And even if it did...I wouldn't be on the hook. So far so good...