We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday activities

ossining, ny
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Topic
Sunday activities

I will be in Florence through a weekend. Sunday July 2 is my daughter's 20th birthday. Any acvice on what to do that day? Are the shops open? Best restaurant to celebrate? What do the natives do on the weekends?

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday activities

Some shops - the department stores especially - are open, at least part of the day. The "natives" (see what you've done, Anemone? It's catchy...) in July most probably go to the seaside (Viareggio, Castiglioncello). I would suggest a trip outside Florence - to Siena or Lucca, for example and/or a restaurant in Fiesole.

Enjoy!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,657 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday activities

The Uffizi gallery is free on Sundays, which means immense queues in July no doubt. But you can still have a free timed entrance ticket for a small booking fee - well worthwhile to be able to stroll in at the appointed time, leaving the poor queuers to wait for another couple of hours.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday activities

Anon, you will be blaming me for the '66 flood next ;)

The Uffizi free on sunday? Is this really true??

-----------

A day trip to Lucca or Siena is a very good idea; they are both lovely towns/cities and both very well worth visiting. While I loved Siena( the catherdal is jaw dropping) I liked Lucca better for the medieval atmosphere it still has huddled inside its great walls; also fewer tourists. You could also stay closer to Florence and go out to Fiesole for the day or afternoon; great views of Florence.

ossining, ny
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday activities

Fiesole sounds like a lovely idea. Thank you for that. We have already arranged trip to Sienna and Lucca on another day. How about that special restaurant for my daughter's birthday?

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday activities

A very (very) special restaurant is the Villa San Michele restaurant - see

villasanmichele.com/web/ovil/ovil_c4e1_san_m…

Other choices could be La Reggia degli etruschi

www.lareggia.org

Slightly further on, at Settignano, see La Capponcina

www.lacapponcina.com

I haven't tried them but they come highly recommended and their location is quite special. Don't forget to make reservations - next to the window!

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday activities

Anemone - I couldn't possibly blame you for the flood - I was there... :)