We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying leather in Florence

Wallington...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
Buying leather in Florence

Will be in Florence next week and would like to buy some leather products, perhaps boots, wallet or belt. Any advice would be much appreciated

103 replies to this topic
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,549 posts
69 reviews
145 helpful votes
1. Re: Buying leather in Florence

I found the whole experience very unpleasant, with high pressure, bullying sales techniques in every shop we entered, in enormous contrast to the charming and efficient service we had in restaurants. I don't know what advice I can give, other than buy your leather goods somewhere else.

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Buying leather in Florence

Be careful as much of what is for sale is actually not made in Italy. The Piero Tucci leather factory on the outskirts of town will come and pick you up. They do high quality leather goods. See http://www.pierotucci.com/. We have also been recommending Roberta’s on Borgo San Jacapo for years as well. Please do tell us how you fare.

3. Re: Buying leather in Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:45 am, August 28, 2016

Alexandria, Va
Level Contributor
224 posts
46 reviews
25 helpful votes
4. Re: Buying leather in Florence

tuscan - it's great that you mentioned LBG! We were in Greve for a few nights and happened to walk by there, and I had been looking for a leather jacket. Everything was so expensive, but LBG was having a 50% off sale. Still pricey, but better than anything else I had found, and very good quality. I am VERY happy with what I bought there.

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
88 posts
24 reviews
22 helpful votes
5. Re: Buying leather in Florence

We went to the San Lorenzo market that encircles San Lorenzo church. There are many vendors and shops in the area of the market. We looked at all the vendors and were able to strike what we thought was a great deal for a leather pocketbook for my stepdaughter in one of the shops. It originally listed for 190 euro and we got it for 95 euro. All of the vendors & shops will negotiate with you.

seattle
Level Contributor
62 posts
14 reviews
17 helpful votes
6. Re: Buying leather in Florence

The San Lorenzo Market does not have good quality leather goods in my opinion. Santa Croce is better, but look carefully, as there is great variety in the quality there too!

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,366 posts
18 reviews
40 helpful votes
7. Re: Buying leather in Florence

Years and years ago San Lorenzo market was THE place to buy leather goods. Alas, it is now largely filled with Chinese-made tat that changes colour and/or falls to bits within a year - and is more likely to be vinyl than leather. Pickpockets seem to have arrived in droves. It really cannot be recommended any more.

Vancouver, Canada
7 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Buying leather in Florence

i agree wholeheartedly with the opinion that San Lorenzo is nowhere you want to buy leather! A couple of years ago I tried to talk my friend out of buying 3 jackets there, and when the jackets were a mess in 6 months, she agreed that she should have spent a little more, and gotten better quality jackets.

Madison, Wisconsin...
Level Contributor
263 posts
90 reviews
39 helpful votes
9. Re: Buying leather in Florence

San Lorenzo is only a tourist market, but good wares can be found near Santa Croce. Borgo Santa Croce is the most concentrated. We found a wonderful and quaint storefront north on Via Giussepe Verdi that sold my fiancee a very reasonably priced purse of quite fine quality.

I believe some ritzier stores can also be found on P d Republica

Edited: 1:51 pm, May 12, 2011
Wallington...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
10. Re: Buying leather in Florence

Thank you so much for all the replys and will be sure not to go near San Lorenzo. I'm very glad I asked. I'll let you know how I go.

Reply to: Buying leather in Florence
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted