We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casa Dibarbano or Liberty House in Florence

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Casa Dibarbano or Liberty House in Florence

Has anyone ever stated at the Casa Dibarbano or The Liberty House B&B in Florence?

Thanks,

J

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,602 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casa Dibarbano or Liberty House in Florence

ItalyinJune - You have put several requests on the Forum. My wife and I have been visiting Italy several times a year for more than 20 years. There is no end to the delights of the glorious country, so rich in art and architecture + super food and wine.

In Florence we like the Pitti Palace Hotel on the corner of the Ponte Vecchio and Borgo San Jacopo if we are economising and the Lungarno in Borgo San Jacopo if we are pushing the boat out for an expensive trip.

Things to see - where to start and where to stop! A month is not long enough but start with the Uffizi - the major art gallery, get there early before the queues get too long or book in advance; the Pitti Palace and the Boboli Gardens behind the Pitti Palace contains fine art gallery and museum; Piazzale Michelangelo on the hill behing the Pitti Palace is a great place to see a panorama of Florence laid out before you.

Then you can start on the great churches and the art and sculpture in them the Duomo and its Baptistry (the oldest building in Florence started about 4th century); the Carmine (the Brancacci Chapel has major frescoes byMasaccio); Ognissanti ( a lot of fine painting); Santa Croce where Michelangelo and Galileo were buried, is full of great sculpture, frescoes and paintings; San Marco now the Fra Angelico Museum - the interior covered with fescoes by Fra Angelico.

I can go on practically for ever which is why any visit is never long enough.

Venice is just as good (I have read that which you prefer depends on which you visited first). I visited Venice first in 1983 and marginally prefer it - the water is an added bonus. But again where to stop with an almost endless list. San Marco and the Doge's Palace are obvious and on everyones list, rightly so, but other major gems.

First stop the Gallerie dell'Accademia, Venice's answer to the Uffizi, another world class art gallery. If you are into modern art then the Peggy Gugenheim Collection is only a couple of 100 yards on the Dorsoduro Island from the Accademia and you pass several good bars and restaurants on your way!

A trip out on the ferry to the island of Torcello is worth while to visit the oldest church in the whole lagoon Santa Maria Assunta founded in AD638 and still going strong with sensational mosaics surviving in good order from 8th to 11th centuries. We ususalyy combine it with a visit to the nearby island of Burano for an excellent lunch at one for the good restaurants to be found on the small island - Da Roman, Il pescatore Da Paolo or Al Gatto Nero are all good.

Other places - a few from a long list -San Sebastiano - a church interior covered by Paolo Veronese; the Scuola dei carmini with great ceilings by Tiepolo (whilst there pass into the adjacent Campo Santa Margherita and sit down for coffe/spritz or a light meal at on of the many cafes); I Frari - a very large Gothic church full of great art and close by the Scuola Grande di San Rocco with super Tintorettos. Another Scuola is Scuolo di San Giorgio degli Schiavoni with lovely paintings on the walls by carpaccio.

There are well over 200 churchs in venice, the vast majority of which have something of artisitic significance. The only problem in both Venice and Florence is "Cultural Indigestion" as a consequnce of too much high art and architecture taken in too quickly.

P.S. Venice we stay in the 3* Accadmia or the Hotel Americain on the Dorsoduro - quieter than nearer San Marco but many people like to be in the thick of things.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casa Dibarbano or Liberty House in Florence

Robert -

Thank you so much for your long response. I really appreciate it. Since my husband doesn't like flying on a plane I ancipate getting to Italy only once in my life. I'm eager to see as much as i can yet still experience what Italy has to offer.

My girlfriend and I are estatic about this "extention" to our choir trip in England/Scotland. It will just be the two of us, alone - wanting to paint the town(s)!

Thanks again for your response. I keep hearing that Accademica dn Hotel American are the way to go in Venice.

Jackie