We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ponte Vacchio and the Locks

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, Virginia
4 posts
Save Topic
Ponte Vacchio and the Locks

Can anyone tell me why the bust of Benvenuto Cellini has locks and padlocks all around the fence? THis is the bust in the middle of the Ponte Vecchio and i was facinated on why people are leaving locks. I could read what they said. Thanks!!

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ponte Vacchio and the Locks

The locks on the Ponte Vecchio are put there by lovers. After locking their love, they throw the key over the bridge into the Arno River to show a committment for each other.

Richmond, Virginia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ponte Vacchio and the Locks

OH! Thank you so much... that makes sense..I was going crazy trying to figure it out.

Portland
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ponte Vacchio and the Locks

For anyone who wants to lock their love on the Ponte Vecchio Bridge, which of course is very romantic, remember that it is not legal and if the street police see you doing it, they have the right to give you a find.

Not to worry too much, just don't do it while the police is patroling on the bridge!

Firenze
Level Contributor
557 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ponte Vacchio and the Locks

Not very romantic is the fact that i saw a poor city worker cutting locks off one by one, unceremoniously, the other day. Seems like a waste of money and a perfectly good lock. Seal your love with a kiss or buy yourself a coffee and a dolce, skip the lock.