We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a Car to go to Chianti or Take a Tour?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
596 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a Car to go to Chianti or Take a Tour?

Which is the better way to go and why? Is it easy enough to get around when you rent a car yourself?

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,463 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a Car to go to Chianti or Take a Tour?

If you are travelling with another person;then it is more cost effective to rent a car. Driving through Chianti is the best experience. The roads are easy to navigate(not much traffic) and the villages are beautiful.

It's the best adventure to discover that new winery or a delicious restaurant in the country on your own.

There are tons of guidebooks on the subject and the posts on this website and others such as slowtrav.com will help you with the program.

Buon Viaggio!!!

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,298 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a Car to go to Chianti or Take a Tour?

Yes, rent a car. Very easy to get around and you can readily access all the hill towns with a car; lots more difficult by train.

With a car you can explore, take small roads, etc., but with a tour you are going where they want you to, when they want you to. Enjoy the freedom of being spontaneous, you'll love it. Just get a good map of Tuscany.

jerryott@dtnspeed.net

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a Car to go to Chianti or Take a Tour?

Susan, Rent a car IF you love driving; It's true there isn't much traffic (we were there in Aug - high season), BUT the roads are never straight and never level...there are steep grades and hair-pin turns everywhere (hence, the terrific scenery) - so much so that I couldn't find even one strip of straigh, level road with which to teach my daughter how to use a stick shift. The only place we found for this was in a parking lot near the agritourismo we were staying at. The roads, as I have described them, are great for people who love to drive...I do, and driving, for me, was a blast. But I kinda like those white-knuckle moments. On the other hand, I can't tell you anthing about buses and such because ALL we had was our rental car.

If you'd like an outline of our Aug. trip with what worked/didn't work/etc. send me an email at pkelly@triton.net and I'll Reply with the outline.

Rick

retired ele. teacher

Michigan, USA

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a Car to go to Chianti or Take a Tour?

And remember the Italian Siesta time is about 1.00 pm to 4.00pm and the country roads are virtually traffic free. A good time to do a bit of driving and sightseeing!

West Sussex
Level Contributor
242 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a Car to go to Chianti or Take a Tour?

I agree with all of the above correspondents. A car gives you freedom, driving is easy and the countryside superb. Plus you can stay as long as you like at anywhere that particularly appeals. Take the SR222, through the Chianti Classico, region between Florence and Siena.