We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 restaurants and other recomomendations

USA
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
4 restaurants and other recomomendations

Hi

We are foodies and are going to have four nights in Florence in a few days. I would love to have four good recommendations, for dinner and a few lunch places.

We also will be taking tours of Florence, Museums and Chianti. Any recommendation for shopping for purses, coats, jewelry etc would be appreciated.

Would love to hear about your favorite must see and do.

Thanks

La Pelle
Gift & Specialty Shops
Roberta
Gift & Specialty Shops
Lo Spillo
Gift & Specialty Shops
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 restaurants and other recomomendations

I highly recommend Quattro Leoni. It's in Oltrarno, a short distance from the Ponte Vecchio.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
65 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 restaurants and other recomomendations

we recently ate at sostanza ..the nine pm seating

great food and a mostly local flavor

we also spent most of our time over the arno in the oltorno

Fremont, CA
Level Contributor
442 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 restaurants and other recomomendations

We enjoyed Acqua a Due on the recommendation of a local. The balsalmic steak was the best steak DH has had in Italy in two trips.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 restaurants and other recomomendations

For lunch, a must is Trattoria Mario behind the San Lorenzo central market - it's a Florentine institution. Inside the central market, Da Nerbone is the place for a quick and hearty sandwich with the local workers. There are some great places that do lunch specials at unbelievable prices - Osteria Caffe Italiano does a lunch menu for 10 euro (a tiny fraction of the cost of dinner here!) for example.

For dinner, I would also recommend Osteria Caffe Italiano (the pizzeria is the best pizza in Florence in my opinion), Brincello in via Nazionale for a down to earth reasonably priced dinner, Santo Bevitore is also fun. I also like Il Magazzino which is next to Quattro Leoni, a little less touristy.

For shopping - handmade jewelry go to Angela Caputi in Via Santo Spirito (you can window shop if you go to Santo Bevitore, it's a couple doors down). For goldsmiths, go to Oro Due in via Lambertesca near the Ponte Vecchio/Uffizi gallery - they're a family of goldsmiths and produce everything in the shop themselves in their studio behind the counter. For other shopping, do you have anything in particular you were after (to narrow it down)? Leather I presume?

USA
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 restaurants and other recomomendations

Thanks for everyone’s recommendations.

Any recommendations for leather would be great; I’d like to buy a coat, purse, belts. I’d also like to buy something special and a little different for my daughter who will be graduating from college-grad school.

Thanks

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 restaurants and other recomomendations

For leather there are a couple of places I'd recommend. Roberta's on Borgo San Jacopo is great for really well made decently priced bags, wallets and leather accessories like gloves (jackets they don't do though), and Temporary on via della Vigna Nuova has some more contemporary style bags. You could also look at the Leather School behind Santa Croce church (entrance on via San Giuseppe or through the actual church itself) - actual artisans who you can watch working away. For jackets, take a look at Piero Tucci: www.pierotucci.com/

USA
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 restaurants and other recomomendations

Thanks for all the great information.

ny
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 restaurants and other recomomendations

La Giostra is by far the BEST restaurant in Florence.. 100% try to make it here if you are a foodie.

http://www.ristorantelagiostra.com/

Gato e Volpe is also great. .its a small causal restaurant good for Lunch or Dinner

Il Latini is a meat spot and also fantastic.

Angels is also great but very $$, However, til this day I still remember how delish the fish was.

I studied in Florence 4 years ago and made my rounds to most of the restaurants.. these 4 stand out in my mind. Acqua al due is fun... I would try it, butnote that the food is average.

Edited: 2:09 pm, June 10, 2010
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 restaurants and other recomomendations

IMO both Quattro Leoni and Il Latini are tourist restaurants. As a foodie, I suspect you would be disappointed with either. Aqua il Due is also a tourist restaurant primarily.

Trattoria Perseus is a good choice for Bistecca Fiorentina. It is located over by Piazza della Liberta. Head to Fiesole and Fattoria di Maiano for dinner one evening. Go early and watch the sun set over Florence.

Il Guscio in the Oltrarno was recommended last visit and we enjoyed it as well as the dinner we had at Il Santo Bevitore also in the Oltrarno.

Cantinetta Antinori has a small menu but offers very good food and a lovely wine selection in an intimate atmosphere. Golden View Open Bar is another upscale choice and we very much enjoyed our experience there. Foods were non traditional and very tasty. Wine list is excellent.

Edited: 2:46 pm, June 10, 2010
USA
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 restaurants and other recomomendations

Thanks for your recommendations. We are looking forward to trying some of them.