We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence Apartments near Piazzale Michelangelo

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
philadelphia, pa
2 posts
Save Topic
Florence Apartments near Piazzale Michelangelo

Hello: I am planning a trip to Florence in April. I am going with my sister and her two children (ages 19 + 20.) I found a place on the Lungarno Cellini which runs along the Arno River, near Piazzale Michelangelo. It looks like it is located across the Arno, away from the main attractions. I want to know if anyone knows this area? Is it a good place to stay for sight seeing? Or is it better to stay in another area? Thanks

Troon, Scotland
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence Apartments near Piazzale Michelangelo

Just returned from a trip to Florence and stayed at the Hotel David which is at No1 Vialle Michelangelo, very close to where you plan to stay, on the south side of the River, just less than a mile from the Ponte Vecchio.

The area is pretty quiet with a nice deli, a bar (James Joyce) and a trattoria L'Orologio (not recommended) within fifty yards.

Like you, we were a little worried that it was a bit too far away from the main attractions but soon found that the D bus service ran from the piazza outside the hotel to the city centre every ten minutes. You buy your tickets at the deli near the bus stop (one euro each trip) and these last one hour from the moment you enter the bus and have it stamped in the ticket machine. It does a continuous circular tour into town, eventually stopping at the main train station. The bus drivers do not take the fares and there seems to be a lot of fare dodging. The penalties however if you are caught are pretty severe.

A taxi from the hotel to the centre was about ten euros.

It's about a twenty minute walk to the city centre and quite pleasant walking along the river. I reckon it was a pretty good location choice.