We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

siena vs. outlets and more time in florence

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
siena vs. outlets and more time in florence

I'm planning my next trip to Italy. I hope to rent an apartment in Rome and go to Florence for two nights. It will be my first trip to Florence. The first day will be musuems, etc. The second day, should I take a day tip to Siena since it's so close, or go to the outlets in the morning and spend more time in Florence in the afternoon? I could do a day trip to Siena from Rome but I am hearing the outlets are hit or miss. We do have Prada and Gucci outlets out here near Palm Springs. Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,425 reviews
from $109.54*
Cinque Terre Day Trip from Florence
671 reviews
from $108.32*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
2,795 reviews
from $109.54*
Special Offer
Florence Super Saver: Best of...
1,410 reviews
from $108.32*
$114.41
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: siena vs. outlets and more time in florence

Forget the outlets, they're not worth going to unless you have time to spare, which you don't.

Two days in Florence isn't enough, but then Siena is stunning. If you never intend to go back to Florence then you really should spend the whole two days there and if possible take a day trip to Siena from Rome (but I don't know the logistics of such a trip or how long you have in Rome, which would obviously have a bearing on this). If, however, you think you might return to Tuscany in the future then a day in Florence and a day in Siena would give you a feel for the area and an appetite for more!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: siena vs. outlets and more time in florence

thanks Peggypatch!

Firenze
Level Contributor
557 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: siena vs. outlets and more time in florence

I can't believe this is even a question! (no offense). Just stay in florence 2 days. You will only skim the surface. There is plenty of shopping in florence itself if you want to pick up a special memory, though frankly if you're in rome for a while, the shopping is better there (i sometimes go down there when i get sick of the stores here). I also like to go to the states to shop cuz it's cheaper.

Siena is very interesting too, but sounds like you don't have much time.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: siena vs. outlets and more time in florence

LOL. Yes I did ask that question! However, now I have two great answers. I will be spending more time in Florence.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,825 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: siena vs. outlets and more time in florence

I'd say go and take a look at Siena. It's wonderful and very different from Florence (Siena's my favourite of all Tuscan cities).

On our first visit we left Rome in the morning and wentby train to Siena where we stayed overnight. Then got earlyish bus to Florence the next day so from 11am onwards were sightseeing and next day too. Second time full day in Siena (staying nearby) and later two and a half-days in Florence. I still prefer Siena!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: siena vs. outlets and more time in florence

Thank Lynda. One of my classmates from Italian class just got back from Siena. I plan to skip the outlets, spend 2 days in Florence and one day in Siena. I cannot wait!

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: siena vs. outlets and more time in florence

Siena. NO contest.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for
Level Contributor
713 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: siena vs. outlets and more time in florence

ciao caribbeanragazza.

do not skip siena. please. ;-)

i have to say that i'm not too much into shopping so the outlets are not much of an alternative, but siena is so beautiful. and it has such a different perspective even in the little things: in the logo of the oldest bank in italy, that is from siena, you read "Monte dei Paschi di Siena, Bank since 1472". to me it's just mindblowing.

Firenze
Level Contributor
557 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: siena vs. outlets and more time in florence

good call, "ragazza"!! 2 days in florence and one in siena is an excellent compromise. There are a ton of interesting exhibitions going on right now in siena and its region, ending this winter. Do plan to visit the fascinating renaissance pilgrims' hospice right off piazza duomo. It's just been restored and is a rare existing example of a renaissance buliding that was designed as a hospital, orphanage and hostel.