We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vespa's - Help please

Sydney
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Vespa's - Help please

Hi all,

We are planning a trip to Florence in January and are thinking about renting Vespa's for a few hours. But i have a few questions:

1) What would we do once we got them? I suppose this is the most important part.

2) Where would we rent them? And How much would they cost?

3) What license requirements are there?

4) Do you really think it is worth it when we only have 3 days in Florence?

I look forward to all your suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,195 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vespa's - Help please

No No No. It.s too dangerous to drive the vespa in the city. Most of the historical area is pedestrian only. If you take it out of the city like to Fiesole; then it would be easier for you. The locals are very aggressive on their vespas. Also, the weather will be rainy in January and not very fun on a vespa.

If you want to rent one;then there is a large agency on Via Guelfa(Guelfa y Panicale) just a few blocks from the Mercato Centrale. The prices are quite high as compared to Australia. You do not need a driver's license, but a credit card and a copy of your passport.

Buona Fortuna!!!

Mentioned in this post
Fiesole
Fiesole
Hotel Guelfa
Hotel Guelfa
174 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Mercato Centrale
Mercato Centrale
10,851 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,988 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vespa's - Help please

Unless you are a very experienced and skilled Vespa driver I would strongly advise not using one in Florence. Where vehicles are permitted, the traffic is heavy and the streets often medieval and hence very narrow.

There is an excellent public transport system. Bus tickets cost 1 euro and are valid for 60 minutes from the time they are stamped in the little time stamp machines on all buses. You can use them in as many different buses as you wish within the 60 minutes. Locals board a bus and do not stamp their tickets until the moment the bus starts to move!

As well as the extensive bus service provided by ATAF around Florence and its environs there are also 4 routes, labelled A.B. C and D using environmentally friendly electric buses. These are very small, 6 seats plus 6 standing, running on a schdeul every 10 minutes and being small they can sneak into the smallest steets in the heart of Florence. We used route B several times as it passed immediately in front of our Hotel and ran along the banks fo the R. Arno. Very convenient.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence