We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Florence or Pisa and commute?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
534 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Florence or Pisa and commute?

We have a flight booked into Pisa and will be staying in Italy for four nights in October. I am not sure whether it would be better to stay in Pisa the whole four nights and visit Lucca and Florence by train for the day or split the time with the first and last nights in Pisa and the others in Florence?

Thanks for any advice.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Florence or Pisa and commute?

Unless your flights are both in the middle of the night, stay only one night in Pisa and spend the rest of the time in Florence.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Florence or Pisa and commute?

Pisa is a nice little town.

Florence is one of the most wonderful cities on the planet.

I would spend a few hours the first day exploring Pisa - and, of course, going to the cathedral, baptistery, Campo Santo and, oh yes, that silly bell tower. But I would also spend an hour or two walking around the town, sticking my nose into the National Museum, and enjoying the stroll along the Arno.

But I would definitely stay in Florence the rest of the time. In the first place, Florence is a terrific place to walk around, day and night. I would stay in the center and have the whole town at my doorstep.

In the second place, commuting would mean spending two hours and more each day riding through just about the most boring countryside in Tuscany.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Florence or Pisa and commute?

Pisa would be the least desirable of these places to spend time

Florence would be my choice because while you need 3 hours for Pisa, you need several days for Florence -- Lucca could be a day trip from Florence although with so little time I would spend it all in florence -- 4 nights is only 3 full days

I would fly into Pisa and immediately visit the field of miracles for the obligatory look at the tower et al and then take the train to Florence and stay there

if you have an early flight out of Pisa then spend the last night there perhaps -- in that case go up and do the Field that day

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
534 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Florence or Pisa and commute?

Thank you all for your replies. Our flights are daytime ones and we have decided to go striaght to Florence from Pisa by train and stay in Florence for three nights. We will spend the last night in Pisa and have time the following day to see the sights before returning to the airport.

pisa
Level Contributor
752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Florence or Pisa and commute?

@ bread, i can't send you private message from my home pc...if you tell me your e-mail address, i'll write you...

thanks

bye

silvia

6. Re: Stay in Florence or Pisa and commute?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, March 18, 2010