We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extend Our Stay in Florence? Help Please

ama
California
Level Contributor
266 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Extend Our Stay in Florence? Help Please

My fiancee and I will be in Italy for our honeymoon in mid November. Currently, we are flying into Rome first, arriving on Monday night and spending 7 full days in Rome (Tuesday-Monday). Then we plan on going to Florence (Tuesday-Thursday), we'll take the train. Then we'd go back to Rome and have one full day before flying home. Our hotels are booked already.

Now, I'm wondering if we should try and extend our stay in Florence for one more day. We could travel into Florence on Monday morning. However, I read that many musuems and churches are closed on Monday, so I'm wondering if this would make sense at all. Of course, I would need to check with both hotels to make sure this is okay too. But, I'm more concerned that if we change our intinerary, will we be able to take advantage of coming in on a Monday and seeing the sights? While we are in Florence, we plan to take a half-day trip to go wine tasting, otherwise we'd like to see the Dumo (inside and outside), the Uffizi, and Academia at least.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

florence
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extend Our Stay in Florence? Help Please

Most museums are closed on Mondays but NOT the churches!! It is on Sundays that makes visiting churches difficult. During mass services, you cannot visit the church. There is TONS to see in Florence which most people do not realise until they arrive in Florence. Any extra days in Florence is a REALLY good idea! Remember to book museum tickets beforehand, contact the places where you will be staying, they could arrange all this for you!! Enjoy!

New York, NY
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Extend Our Stay in Florence? Help Please

I just came back from Italy a few days ago and my advice for you is to definitely extend your time in Florence. I would even say split it up equally between the two if they are the only places you plan to go while in Italy. Florence is small, but beautiful and so much more charming than Rome. Yes, a lot of museums are closed on mondays, but I believe that most churches are open and the Pitty Palace and Boboli Gardens are also open on monday. I would also suggest you consider a day trip to Siena from Florence, which is an hour bus ride. Make sure to make a reservation at the Uffizi and the Accademia to avoid waiting in line.

Good luck and have fun!

Boston,MA
Level Contributor
141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Extend Our Stay in Florence? Help Please

I agree with the above posts!

I spent a week in Florence only and still didn't see everything!

I also took my time with the sites because I didn't want to rush through like I was checking off things on a list.

I spent an entire day at the Uffizi alone.

Leave some time to shop, sleep in (This is a vacation/honeymoon after all!) and sit at a cafe on a Piazza and watch the world go by. You'll be so happy you did! I promise!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
194 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extend Our Stay in Florence? Help Please

I totally agree with the above posts. I just returned from Rome, Florence and Lucca. I fell in love with Florence--I wish I had spent most of my time there. We only had 2 full days because we took a day trip into the country to see various vineyards (that is also a must--the scenery is breathtaking and the wine is excellent).

And, you must get your reservations in advance to the Uffizi--we passed by a huge line and went straight in. It was great!

When I return to Italy, I will be spending most of my time in Florence. Our best meal in Italy was at Mamma Gina's which is right over the Arno River. It was heavenly :)

ENJOY!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
194 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extend Our Stay in Florence? Help Please

Oh yeah--give yourself at least half a day for the Mercato Centrale (central market) if you like to shop. It was amazing--I spent way too much money :)

ama
California
Level Contributor
266 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extend Our Stay in Florence? Help Please

Thank you everyone. We're in the process of extending our trip in Florence! Our B&B in Florence is okay, we're now checking if it's okay with our B&B in Rome.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Extend Our Stay in Florence? Help Please

You mentioned going inside the cathedral in Florence but you the really special interior is the Baptistry. It is truly breathtaking (Pisa and Siena cathedrals are more spectacular inside than Florence cathedral).

Go to Museo di San Marco near accademia too, for Fra Angelico's frescoes in the monastery.

I agree with the suggestion of day-trip to Siena too, if you can fit it in. Or as time is tight, you cd go to Siena from Rome, spend afternoon there and then go by bus to Florence in the evening. At least it'll give you a taste of this wonderful city. Our first trip we went Rome to Siena, overnight in Siena then bus at 9am or so to Florence so we were there before 11am and had full day really.

Buses run very frequently to Florence and leave from city centre (railway station is down the hill, outside old city).