We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to Piazzale Michelangelo?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,599 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Bus to Piazzale Michelangelo?

Hi,

I'm off to Florence next week and would like to know what number bus goes up to the Piazzale Michelangelo and whereabouts in the centre I can pick this bus up?

Many thanks

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
322 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus to Piazzale Michelangelo?

Here is the local bus website: http://www.ataf.net/

The website is a little confusing but you can contact them by e-mail and they will write back to you quickly, and in English. I can't remember the number bus that goes up to Piazzale. If you aren't opposed to walking, it's a very nice walk and not really that far. If you get tired, you can always take the bus (or a cab) back down from the Piazzale.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus to Piazzale Michelangelo?

Hiya,

You can get the bus from just outside the train station - there's a proper little bus station-type thing there, it's quite obvious.

I'm pretty sure the circular routes 12 and 13 go up there - the 12 goes the quickest way there, and the 13 is the quickest way back, if you see what I mean. Although you could walk back as it's downhill!

Ask at the ticket / info office at the bus station to be on the safe side, though! You can buy tickets there as wel - stamp them when you get on the bus or they're not valid.

Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus to Piazzale Michelangelo?

Vicky is exactly right- 12 is the quickest there and 13 going back, but you should really walk back- it is beautiful.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,599 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus to Piazzale Michelangelo?

Thanks guys - much appreciated

Boston,MA
Level Contributor
141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus to Piazzale Michelangelo?

It's the Number 12 going there. Just buy 2 bus tickets- I got scammed into buying six! It's about a 15 minute ride.

While up there, the stop before Paizza de Michaelangelo is San Minuito church. The views are almost better- defintely higher. the church itself has vespers every night at 5:30pm in the Summer and 4:30pm in the winter. The priest do Gregorian chanting and it's just beautiful. I'm a lapsed Catholic and even I was enchanted!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,993 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus to Piazzale Michelangelo?

Dina - thanks for the tip re getting off at the church. I read on the bus website that you can buy 4 tickets for 3.9E - which will do for the 2 of us getting there and back. However, we might be hiking up there as there is a transportation strike scheduled for the one day we have in Florence.