We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Strikes/Sept. '05

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Train Strikes/Sept. '05

We want to travel by train from Livorno to Florence on Sept. 21st, but noticed this alert: expediacorporate.com/daily/edit/alerts/Augus… (scroll down to Italy) - which states that,

"September 21: 24-hour nationwide strike of local public transportation, including buses, trams, subways and local trains. Expect significant disruptions; confirm rental car reservations. "

Are Trenitalia trains considered "local trains"? I'm thinking I should book a bus ride to Florence and back via the cruise ship.

thanks,

Prestige Rent
Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
Tuscany Car Tours
Wine Tours & Tastings , Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
I Just Drive
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Wine Tours & Tastings , Taxis & Shuttles
ICS Italy Chauffeur Service
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Strikes/Sept. '05

Trenitalia covers the whole country. A train is considered local according to its route. Some Livorno-Florence trains might be considered as such. According to the Minister of Transport website, the strike is set for the 21st. It might be cancelled or postponed at the last moment, but booking through the ship is probably your best bet, albeit probably a more expensive one. Enjoy!

Dallas
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Strikes/Sept. '05

Hmm...I was planning on traveling on train on the 23rd to Venice, which is a popular route so I was going to book ahead. I wonder what I should do now? If you buy a ticket in advance and the strike happens, do they refund your money?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Strikes/Sept. '05

This site provides updated info on strikes : seekitaly.com/news/from_roma.html#warnings

Scroll down to "Strikes, Demonstrations, Etc. in Italy"

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Strikes/Sept. '05

The strike is still set for the 21st. Usually, they don't postpone it by just two days. In any case, it is a "local transportation" strike, meaning that Eurostar and Intercity trains will most probably be running.