We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains to Milan

Leicestershire, UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trains to Milan

I've looked in to train travel from Florence to Milan and have received a quote of £25 (€36) by an online company.

Is it easy to pay at the station and does anyone know if this is a good idea to just turn up and pay on the day?

Also does anyone know the approximate cost?

Regards

Lee

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,610 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains to Milan

Did you try www.trenitalia.it? If you did then the price they will quote you is the same as you would pay at the station ticket office. They are the official rail timetable/booking site.

Whilst my wife and I frequently travel by train without booking in advance it is only for short journeys where it is not a serious matter if we have to stand.

Florence - Milan takes around 2 hours and 40 minutes - more than we like to stand so to be certain of a seat, particularly if you are travelling at busy times, it is sensible to book in advance.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
140 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains to Milan

I visited Italy in early July, and I would also strongly recommend using Trenitalia website and book the tickets in advance.

Why?

1) to get seats you want

2) to avoid queues (For Eurostar -trains all you need is the reservation code -> just hop in, and for other trains you can easily retrieve a paper ticket by using a self-service machine available at train stations.)

3) it's the cheapest way to buy the tickets anyway

4) less money you carry the better

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains to Milan

Robert and Mariia are both right.

The prices quoted on trenitalia range between 17 to 29 euro appr. , depending on the type of train (espresso being the slowest and eurostar the fastes), for a journey in second class.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains to Milan

Timetables and pricing info is from Italian RR site at: http://www.trenitalia.com/home/en/index.html

Click on the shopping cart to get cost.

EuroStar "nonsmoking" trains leave Florence every hour at :14 past. Travel time is 2h 46m with one-way 1st class cost (including reservation) is 41.83 Euro and 2nd class cost is 28.92 Euro.

InterCity IC trains (with smoking coaches) also depart at different times throughout the day. Travel times around 3h 15m with one way 1st class cost (without reservation) is 33.06 Euro and 2nd class cost is 24.69 Euro.

Remember train ticket are NOT like airline tickets. You buy a ticket for travel by train from here to there. The ticket is generally good for the next 30 days for travel on any train going there. It is the reservation that is specific for a certain train/date/seat and would be highly recommended for travel at popular times and dates/days. Reseverations cost about 3 to 4 Euro.

As far as ticket purchase is concerned, buy them at the station a few days in advance AND make your reservations, then pay with a credit card.

Leicestershire, UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains to Milan

Thanks everyone, that is useful, and will save me money!

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains to Milan

Just for information: Smoking is prohibited on ALL trains in Italy, including trains going abroad and having compartments for smokers (but you can start smoking at the point of crossing the border).