We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Florence

Washington, DC
6 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Florence

We are spliting our honeymoon between Rome and Florence. Neither one of us has a good idea about where in Florence to stay that will be near attractions, but will also be romantic. Any suggestions? We will be going in February. Thanks for the help! Also, any good restaurants that we should go to in Florence?

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Florence

If you have no budget problems, you can try at the Lungarno hotel...I have always dreamt about it...but for me it is too expensive!It is well located and a very romantic place!

Mentioned in this post
Lungarno
Lungarno
30 Reviews
Florence, Italy
San Francisco...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Florence

My husband and I just got back from a 3 week Italy trip all over.. We spent three days in Florence. We ate the best food there.. The recommendations I have were recommendations from my family and friends and we were so thankful! They were all delicious.

The first is Ristorante La Maremma. It is located near Santa Croce Piazza and church on Via Verdi, 16/r. Their telephone # is (055) 244615. We had a wonderful meal here and it was not super expensive. It was great food and medium priced. My husband had the pasta and I had tomato bread soup.. so yummy.. The waiter spoke great English and everyone was really nice. We ate lunch here before going to the church and the leather school..

For one dinner we went to 13 Gobbi on Via Del Porcellana, 9/r. Telephone 055-284015. This place was packed to the gills with people.. mostly locals.. and for a good reason.. the food was great. We still talk about the house rigatoni... We were lucky they fit us in on a Friday.. but, I would recommend a reservation if you go on a weekend. My friends told me to go here since they went here every single night when they were in Florence!

and lastly.. and most expensive.. but, If you wanted to splurge on a really nice meal.. I would say you definitely have to go to La Giostra. This was really special. We tried to walk in the first night.. and they could not take us.. so, we made a reservation for the next.. they treat you wonderfully.. greeting you with a glass of champagne when you sit.. and a whole plate of hourderves after you order. The owner is a prince of some sort and he loves his job. He explains all the hourderves to every table.. and all about the wine if you have any. I had the pasta with white truffles (they are in season now in Italy).. and it was so wonderful.. Our bill was around 175$.. but, the wine was 30 and the truffles were 50! so, you could do it less frivolous than we did for sure! But, there are pics of all kinds of American stars on the walls.. I have heard that this is one of Florence's best restaurants.. Here is their website

www.ristorantelagiostra.com

My husband and I loved Rome.. we are city people.. but, it is wonderful.. I suggest getting Rick Steves Mona Lisa Winks books.. it really helps if you are going to do any museums.. For finding hotels.. we used Rick Steves and Trip Advisor. We really liked our hotel in Rome.. it was called Hotel Fontabella..

We live in San Francisco so we love a good meal.. and these were all great.. good luck.. you will love Italy.. try to relax a little since you are on you honeymoon!!!!

Selena

San Francisco, CA

Mentioned in this post
La Giostra
La Giostra
2,699 Reviews
Florence, Italy
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Washington, DC
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Florence

thanks so much for the suggestions!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Florence

Hotel Hermitage is a quaint, B&B hotel right at the base of the Ponte Vecchio. The rooms have Jacuzzi tubs.....great for relaxing after site seeing in the cold. The rooms are not luxury, but sweet and cozy. We went in September and paid 220 euros per night. I would think winter rates would be cheaper. They have a website you should check out. We have stayed there twice and the staff is very helpful. Let them know it is your honeymoon. They had a nice bottle of wine waiting in our room with a card upon arrival.

As far as restaurants....

Aqua al 2 - get the pasta assagi (5 courses of pasta!!!) excellent.

D'Osvaldo - Marco will take good care of you. Get the biscotti and Vin Santo for dessert.

We needed reservations for both but that was during September. Ask your hotel to make reservations in advance for you.

Good luck!

Houston, Tx.
Level Contributor
14 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Florence

I promised my husband we would tell NO ONE about this place for fear of never getting reservations again once word got out, however since it is a honeymoon, Well..............If possible stay at the Palazzo Di Niccolini overlooking the Duomo. This beautiful palace has only seven rooms and/or suites for guests and is ABSOLUTELY EXQUISITE! Each room/suite is different and the salon for reading or having a drink and relaxing is marvelous with antiques and wonderful art. The couple who looks after the guests is beautifully trained and meet every request with efficiency and beautiful manners. Breakfast is fabulous and served when and where you want it.

There is parking for the car in the enclosed courtyard and the owners gave us a personal tour of the palace including the third floor, three room honeymoon suite with jacuzzi tub, huge marble bath, living room w/fireplace and panoramic views of the Duomo. Once inside the building one hears NO noise from the outside. My husband and I treated friends of ours (30's) to the Niccolini in Oct and they were blown away by the experience. We are world travelers and feel that our judgment can be trusted and this beauty ranks very high on our list of best places. Enjoy

new york
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Florence

you have to have to have to go to LA GISOTRA! I studied aborad in Florence for 6 months, and hands down this place is amazing! i am going to florence in two weeks and this was my first reservation made. You have to have the spinach, sea bass, chocolate cake!! YUM, and the restaurant is super romantic with xmas lights everywhere.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
467 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Florence

Hotel Monna Lisa got good recommendations on Tripadvisor for a Florence hotel. http://www.florenceby.com/monnalisa/

And if you need help on where to stay in Rome, I would stay around the Spanish Steps. I have heard good things about Casa Howard. http://www.casahoward.com/

Sincerely,

Diana

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Monna Lisa
Hotel Monna Lisa
1,271 Reviews
Florence, Italy