We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strikes planned for 24 June

UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Strikes planned for 24 June

Can Tomale or anyone else update me on the strikes called for 24 June. We are flying in to Pisa that day and travelling on to Florence for the weekend. Thanks

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strikes planned for 24 June

According to the Italian Transport Ministry website, there is going to be a railways and ships strike from 9 pm on the 23rd to 9 pm of the 24th. The best advice I can give you is - stay tuned!

Firenze
Level Contributor
557 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strikes planned for 24 June

banks, airlines, public services, telecommunications and ministry workers from the Fp-Cgil, Fps-Cisl, Uil-Pa unions are all on strike. What this translates as is don't plan to go anywhere.

June 24th is also san giovanni day in florence which means local holiday, everything closed. Go to fiesole if you can get there, it's open cuz it has a different saint. But there will be no bus service as far as i can tell. Stay home!!

italy
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Strikes planned for 24 June

We too are flying (Ryanair) from Stansted to Pisa on 24th June, so am quite alarmed but I have just been onto Ryanair Customer Services to see if they could advise me and apparently they have not been informed and therefore believe it will not be effected but if so it will be on their webpage in advance. Fingers crossed !

Firenze
Level Contributor
557 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strikes planned for 24 June

Is your final destination pisa? If not you'll need to think about alternate travel plans. Either hang out in pisa until 9pm and then take the first train out of pisa (to florence or wherever), or plan to stay there overnight.

The train strike starts thursday june 23d at 9pm and ends at 9pm the following day, june 24th.

Trains do have some guaranteed service but they don't announce which trains will be guaranteed until the very last minute. You can try to travel but you'll be very frustrated.

italy
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Strikes planned for 24 June

We are due to arrive in Pisa at 9.35pm and we are actually booked into nearby hotel for that night as we hire a car on Saturday to go to Volterra. So is it only trains, buses etc., or are the Airports/Flights affected also ? Thanks for your help!