We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much time do you allow to clear customs etc at the...

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
how much time do you allow to clear customs etc at the...

Hello,

seeking some info in preparation for our trip. We fly into Pisa at about 3pm, then will train/bus into Florence. I was going to book tickets online but am unsure as to how much time to allow in between arriving and clearing customs. Will only have hand luggage so it's really passport control and security. I think the trains have quiet a gap in the afternoon and was leaning towards the terravision coach to avoid wasting time in the airport. Any ideas helpful!

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: how much time do you allow to clear customs etc at the...

Hi there, there is no need to book the tickets ahead of time as there are lots of busses and trains, look up the Trenitalia and Terravision sites and you will see.

There is a ticket desk in the terminal and you can get the tickets there.

Even if you decide to buy online you will only get tickets that you will have to validate in a machine(for the train) and an untimed ticket for the bus.

I took the Terravision bus to Florence and the train back because of the timings and both were great.

I bought my tickets in the terminal and had no problems getting a bus, they say that if there are too many passengers they will put on an extra bus.

The airport is tiny and there seem to be only a few flights at one time.

Enjoy your trip.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
244 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how much time do you allow to clear customs etc at the...

I don't know if this is any help because I arrived at the Rome airport, but we pretty much walked right through the security point where they check our passport... I was surprised when right beyond that point were the exit doors!!! I was expecting going through customs like they do here where they check everything. I even had food with me in my portable cooler that I wasn't supposed to bring in I think, but no one even asked me a question... So I can safely say that I think it took no time at all....but you have to consider the walk through the airport and the waiting line to get to the customs.