We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

Draper
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

Wow, be careful renting a car in Italy. We arrived in Naples to return our car only to find the rental agency closed and no place to park the car. The door has a nice little note that said any cars left on the street would be ticketed and charged to our rental.

After spending 6 hours trying to get a hold of National Car Rental, we finallly reached someone and they said it was our responsibility to return the car to Rome Airport (3-1/2 hours away!).

We had a tour we had to catch and had no other option than to cancel the remainder of our trip and return the car to Rome Airport.

When we arrived in Rome, they charged us a weekend car rental fee of $960 euros as a vehicle transit fee of $268 euro to return the car to Naples. The last charge was a $320 euro which covered the insurance of the person who had rented the car for the weekend (if the office was closed, how could someone rent it?!!) , Our original rental was only $267 euro for 24 hours. After two brutal hours of the rudest people I have ever dealt with, we left stating that we would just dispute with our credit card company. They treatened to have us arrested and said that they would put a hold on our passport until the fee is paid in cash or wire transfer. (never threaten to cancel a credit card payment). Once the police arrived it was determined that we had to comply with their request but settled by paying all of the cash we had between ourselves which was about $560 euro. Being in a foreign country and not knowing their laws and how far we could go with our position was very frustrating.

Everyone at National must have been ready for our phone call when we arrived home in the US because they were all ready yelling on the phone before we had a chance to tell our story. And of course, refused to do anything.

This is not something I would expect in Italy. Avoid National at all cost!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
101. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

I also had a terrible experience with Maggiorre in Florence as well. There is no-where to park. The staff are extremely unhelpful and although they appear to be shuffling papers all the time productivity and customer service was non-existing. Our car was booked for collection for 11:00. We started queuing at 10:30 only to get to the front of the queue at 11:10. Although I was standing at the desk from 11:10 I was only given my rental agreement at 11:30. We were told that we had to wait for a car. We waited for another hour. When I queried what was going on I was told "We do not have a carra. You must just a waita. If you don't wanta waita you go a somewhere elsa".

The car was eventually presented to us full of pumps and scratches and the fuel tank was empty. Maggiorre will not see me again.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Los Angeles...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
102. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

I have had a terrible experience with Maggiore car rental also.

Not only did I get a terrible service when I got to the office, waited for a very long time, had to go off site to print a copy of my confirmation page because just providing them with a confirmation number was nit enough, BUT when I got back I got home, I received 3 additional charges from them. One because supposedly I returned the car 34 minutes late and they charged me an extra day. I was NOT late arriving at their center, it just took them an hour to check me in. Once checked in, I asked if everything was in order and they said everything is fine. I asked if i need something to reflect that the car was returned in time and everything was in order and they said no. 2 months later I get a charge that my credit card company says that unless I have proof that the car was returned on time they cannot do anything.

The other 2 charges are from 2 supposed tickets that I got while I had the car. I did not get any tickets.

Will never use this company again. Neither should you!

103. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:41 am, March 01, 2013
London, England...
1 post
Save Reply
104. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

I have had a terrible experience with Maggiore car rental also.

I rented a car thru rentalcars.com and they use Maggiore. Do NOT use rentalcars.com either.

Not only did I get a terrible service when I got to the office, waited for a very long time, had to go off site to print a copy of my confirmation page because just providing them with a confirmation number was nit enough, BUT when I got back I got home, I received 3 additional charges from them. One because supposedly I returned the car 34 minutes late and they charged me an extra day. I was NOT late arriving at their center, it just took them an hour to check me in. Once checked in, I asked if everything was in order and they said everything is fine. I asked if i need something to reflect that the car was returned in time and everything was in order and they said no. 2 months later I get a charge that my credit card company says that unless I have proof that the car was returned on time they cannot do anything.

The other 2 charges are from 2 supposed tickets that I got while I had the car. I did not get any tickets.

Will never use this company again. Neither should you!

Somerset Village...
Level Contributor
5 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
105. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

We rented from Maggiore in November '12 through rentalcars.com (rentalcars.com have always been superb & we have no problems with them) however I cannot say the same for Maggiore. We picked the car up @ Marco Polo airport Venice....the paperwork was done efficiently but the agent could not tell us the precise location of our return point at Civitavecchia...our paperwork had specified "Civitavecchia Port"...we were joining a cruise. Our departure from Marco Polo was delayed for an hour because our allocated car had damages which were not noted on the paperwork & there was no agent available at the pickup point....they were out to lunch for another 2hrs or so!!!...We arrived in Civitavecchia plenty of time per our rental agreement ~ after much driving around the Port we discovered there was NO Maggiore presence...it was exceedingly difficult to find Maggiore in town centre because there was NO OFFICE only a tiny private looking car park/driveway for about 6 vehicles behind a locked gate & nobody around. Cutting a long story short we made phone calls & were treated like dirt by the local agent over the phone who basically told us that he would not be available for another 3 hours & could not help!!!.....after hours of purgatory & ill-treatment we ended up having to leave the car outside on yellow lines area with keys inside car...& had to run to the Port so as not to miss the ship.....in that whole process we left personal stuff & gifts in the car....of course nothing been said about those..... then Maggiore had the audacity to charge our credit card for an extra days rental...because of their own inadequacies & abysmal customer service. We have been in email correspondence with them since & we have never once had a response to our detailed queries ~ all we get is passed from pillar to post from complaints - customer services - to reclaims - complaints - customer services ad infinitum.....I find their approach to business totally unprofessional, will never use them again & would not recommend anyone to use Maggiore.... I have no problems with National or Alamo their associates both of which I have used frequently without problems..

I believe that Maggiore's modus operandi is simple ....ignore the customer complaints & eventually they will go away !

Mentioned in this post
Marco Polo Airport
Marco Polo Airport
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Civitavecchia
Civitavecchia
Province of Rome, Italy
Civitavecchia Port
Civitavecchia Port
264 Reviews
Civitavecchia, Italy
Marco Polo
Marco Polo
918 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
106. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

Good note on Maggiore Car rental. I have also written several e-mails with my queries with the attitude by them of ignore the customer and they will go away. Perhaps we need to contact rentalcars.com and advise them on the dismal service. I have since also received several charges to my credit card for supposed fines. I know for a fact that I did not get any fines whilst driving in Italy and they are yet to provide me with proof of receiving the fines.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Somerset Village...
Level Contributor
5 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
107. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

I already reported it to RentalCars & today have attempted to email Maggiore's CEO as I am not prepared to let it go & accept their dreadful customer service & attitude......I will continue to pursue them until I get some answers.... like a cheetah with a bone !

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
108. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

Excellent. Please will you be so kind to share any contact details you can get hold of with me as I will not leave the bone either. My direct e-mail address is albert.gerber@gmail.com.

109. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, March 22, 2013
110. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

Removed on: 8:05 am, March 22, 2013