We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A strike at the Uffizi????!

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
A strike at the Uffizi????!

Hello. I was looking into booking a reservation through www.florenceart.it for June 22nd. It denied me a reservation for that date and it said "museum will probably be closed for strike". What the ???! Could this possibly be true? I checked on a reservation for the day after, the 23rd, and there seemed to be no problem. However, I am befuddled!

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A strike at the Uffizi????!

Oh yes, sometime, as everything else in Italy, museums go on strike. that is, the guards do. Once it happened to me in the Uffizi (actually, then it was a "workers' meeting") and my ticket was replaced for the day after.

Book for the 23rd if you can and enjoy your visit!

Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A strike at the Uffizi????!

Wow! Thanks for the tip. I'll do that!

london, england
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: A strike at the Uffizi????!

it happened to me earlier in the year - i couldn't believe it but we were lucky as we had a couple of days. we just went back the next day and everything was fine... i particularly liked the first couple of rooms i.e. when it all began...

USA
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A strike at the Uffizi????!

the strike concept is different than USA in that it occurs for "x" hours on any given day - I heard rumblings on an Alitalia flight in a forum here 3 Days beforre my departure 5/20 - sure enough - Sat May 28 Air Traffic controller strike Alitalia canceled 150 flights. No problems beginning 29th.

jme
allentown, pa
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: A strike at the Uffizi????!

What did Alitalia do with the 150 cancelled flights on May 28???