We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Piazza Michelangelo - walk or bus from Pitti Palace? Hours...

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Piazza Michelangelo - walk or bus from Pitti Palace? Hours...

I'm planning on visiting the Pitti Palace Boboli Gardens and Santo Spirito Church after spending the morning in Pisa. Since we're already south of the Arno, how long of a walk and how difficult from the Pitti Palace or Santo Spirito to Piazza Michelangelo and San Miniato? If we wanted to catch bus #12 or 13 to the Piazza, does it stop near either location or would we have to go all the way back to the train station to catch it? How often do buses depart from the Piazza? Are there any good, reasonably priced restaurants south of the Arno?

Are all of the above sites worth seeing? What about the Porcelain Museum and Grand Ducal Treasures that are included in the admission price to the Boboli Gardens? Does anyone know the opening hours for the churches, etc? Every guidebook I look at is completely different. **We're leaving for Italy in one week so I need your answers asap! Thanks a lot.

Mentioned in this post
Boboli Gardens
Boboli Gardens
3,682 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
San Miniato
San Miniato
Province of Pisa, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Level Contributor
21,537 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Piazza Michelangelo - walk or bus from Pitti Palace? Hours...

You are not mentioning how long you are staying in Florence for. If you have just a couple of days, I would give a miss to the Porcelain Museum. Piazzale Michelangelo is not very close to the Boboli Gardens, and the walk is all uphill. Also, in March when I went there were extensive roadworks in the area of Porta Romana, and all bus lines were being rerouted. I would not refrain from considering taking a taxi from there, also taking into account that you might be tired after Santo Spirito and Boboli. The radiotaxi number is 055-4798 (there is another one but I can't remember it right now) and you can call from any public phone in the street. If the gate from Boboli to Forte di Belvedere is open, you can cut through there, but it is a very uphill walk from Belvedere to Piazzale Di Michelangelo (I would say at least 15/20 minutes long).

As for churches, they are usually open during daytime. I don't know which church you are referring to, so I cannot give you more detailed info.

Enjoy your visit!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Piazzale Michelangelo
Piazzale Michelangelo
26,792 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Boboli Gardens
Boboli Gardens
3,682 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Porta Romana
Porta Romana
93 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Piazza Michelangelo - walk or bus from Pitti Palace? Hours...

I remember that I saw spectacular memorable things in the Pitti Palace when I visited many years ago...so that must be the Ducal treasures you are referring to. I also wondered why the Pitti did not get more press....I found it much more interesting than the Uffizi. Don't miss jewelry shopping on the Ponte Vecchio. Also on that side of the Arno is a great restaurant called Mamma Gina's, and a wonderful high quality leather goods shop called Parri's.

Mentioned in this post
Ponte Vecchio
Ponte Vecchio
15,181 Reviews
Florence, Italy
sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Piazza Michelangelo - walk or bus from Pitti Palace? Hours...

Anon- the churches that have conflicting opening hours in different guidebooks are San Miniato and Santo Spirito.

Mentioned in this post
San Miniato
San Miniato
Province of Pisa, Italy
Level Contributor
21,537 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Piazza Michelangelo - walk or bus from Pitti Palace? Hours...

I have the hours of San Miniato as

holidays 8-19; weekdays 8-12:30 and 14-19

for Santo Spirito

holidays: 8.30-12.00; 15.45-17.00; weekdays: 8.30-12; 15.45-18.

The Santo Spirito cenacolo is open

Holidays: 8-13; weekdays: 9-14. Closed mondays.

To be on the safe side, if you can plan a time which coincides with all the info you got, it would probably be best!

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
San Miniato
San Miniato
Province of Pisa, Italy
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,954 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Piazza Michelangelo - walk or bus from Pitti Palace? Hours...

Santo Spirito (tel: 055 219 030) used to be open 8.30 a.m. - Noon and 4 to 6 p.m., closed Wednesday afternoon.

The nearby Santa Maria del Carmine with its sensational Masaccio and Masolino frescoes in the Brancacci Chapel had the chapel open 10.00.a.m. 5 p.m., cosed Tuesday, open 1 - 5 p.m. unday but they have changed the system since we last went so ring 055 238 2195 - sorry do not now if they have a website - possible, try Google.

San Miniato al Monte is quite some way away and I am sorry I have no record of when they are open.

I think your plan of the Pitti Palace, Boboli Gardens and Santo Spirito in an afternoon after a morning in Pisa is ambitious to say the least. The train to Pisa takes about an hour each way so you will not have very long in Pisa. Have you checked train times on www.trenitalia.it?

Opening time at the Pitti vary and need checking for current times as things change at short notice.

Giardini di Boboli openings change by the month June/August is 8.15 a.m. - 7.30 p.m. daily; April/May/Sept/October closes at 6.30 p.m. Check on 055 265 1816/1838

Galleria d'Arte Moderna is 8.15 a.m. to 1.50 p.m. Tuesday to saturday plus occasional Mondays and Sundays

galleria del Palatina & Appartmenti Reali opens 8.15 a.m. - 6.50 p.m. closed Monday.

Restaurants - there a lots of excellent restaurants/trattoria in the Oltrano. The book "The Food Lovers Guide to Florence" by Emily Wise Miller is a useful guide for those brought up on Ameican food. It is published by Ten Speed Press of Berkeley and Toronto. Check www.tenspeed.com

My wife and I particularly like Cinghiale Bianco in Borgo San Jacopo (first street on right across Ponte Vecchio)

Borgo Antico in Piazza Santo Spirito

Osteria Santo Spirito, Piazza Santo Spirito

Trattoria del Carmine, Piazza del Carmine

Difficult to go wrong in Oltrano, just look at the menu posted outside and see if the dishes on offer are to you liking and the prices what you re willing to pay.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Maria del Carmine
Santa Maria del Carmine
136 Reviews
Florence, Italy
San Miniato
San Miniato
Province of Pisa, Italy
Boboli Gardens
Boboli Gardens
3,682 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Florence
Florence
Ponte Vecchio
Ponte Vecchio
15,181 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Piazza Santo Spirito
Piazza Santo Spirito
485 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,954 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Piazza Michelangelo - walk or bus from Pitti Palace? Hours...

Sory, forgot to say that my wife and I walked up to Piazzale Michelangelo from our Hotel in Borgo San Jacopo and we are in our 70s. Well worth a visit for the fine panoramic views over Florence. There are restaurants and cafes at the rear of the Piazzale but have not used them.

San Minato is a different matter, too far to walk comfortably for us.

Mentioned in this post
Piazzale Michelangelo
Piazzale Michelangelo
26,792 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Florence
Florence
somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Piazza Michelangelo - walk or bus from Pitti Palace? Hours...

These opening hours were correct when I made the phone calls!

San Miniato: 8a-12p/2p-7p--vespers sung 5:30

San Marco: tue-fri 8:15-1:30 --sat/sun 8:15-6:50 closed mon this is the museum.

SMN 9-5 museum--sun 9-2 closed fri. Church also closed lunch for unknown # of hours!

Sta.Croce 9-5 sun 1-5 church closed 2hrs luch and sun am.

Brancacci chapel:10-5 closed tues.

Sto.Spirito I have no info for except that the museum is closed for renovations.

ALL churches seem to close for undisclosed hours for lunch every day.

Mentioned in this post
San Miniato
San Miniato
Province of Pisa, Italy