We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Us Plan a One Day Visit

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA - Ohio
11 posts
Save Topic
Help Us Plan a One Day Visit

I'm sad to say, but my son and I will be only be staying in Florence for one day (June 23) and we're looking for suggestions for hotels that are reasonably priced, within walking distance of inner city, so we can walk around in the evening and not be too far from hotel. We'd like the hotel to be clean, safe, shower within room and serves breakfast (if possible). What do you recommend?

What are the main attractions that we should see in one day?

Can I assume that we can basically walk to everything we want to see? If not, what's the best way for getting around most efficiently?

Where should we eat at? We prefer to eat the local foods/restaurants vs. the touristy places. We love seafood, pasta, about anything really. What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your assistance, it's very much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Julio

Memphis
Level Contributor
675 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Us Plan a One Day Visit

I have not yet been to Florence but will be there in three weeks. It would help to know exactly how long you will be there. I would recommend making reservations for mus. you might want to see so you won't waste time in lines. My humble opinion is that you could visit the Duomo, Uffizi and Accademia all in one day. I will be staying in Porta Faenza, which is just a bit east of the train station. It was reasonably priced and has a lot of great reviews on this site. I think that most, if not all, hotels in Italy serve breakfast.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,342 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Us Plan a One Day Visit

The duomo is not that impressive inside but what is really fabulous is the Baptistry next door. Do go inside that ! Also wonderful is San Marco with frescoes by Fra Angelico amongst its treasures, and the chapel with Gozzoli's frescoes in Palazzo Medici Riccardi.

The accademia's main draw is the David but there's one outside the Town Hall too, and one at Piazzale Michelangelo- which is where you get that wonderful panorama of the city. Ponte Vecchio is full of tourists but such a symbol you have to see it!

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Us Plan a One Day Visit

I haven't been yet but will in only 2 weeks, I went as a child .

My suggestion for any city if you only have one day is to spend the time outside walking and looking in at anyplace that takes your fancy, don't waste time in lines in museums, there are so many wonderful places to see in Florence, every church has at least one masterpiece and you don't have to stand in line, the whole city is an architectural wonder.

London, UK
Level Contributor
520 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Us Plan a One Day Visit

You won't be able to see it all - so don't try! Florence is very compact and very easy to walk around and you can therefore soak up the atmosphere pretty easily. Things that are must sees are obviously the outside of teh Baptstery Doors by Ghiberti, the outside of the Duomo, the Uffizi (get your ticket well in advance), the Church of Santa Maria Novella and Santa Croce, the Pontevecchio....all else can wait til your next visit.

Re hotels - you didn't mention your budget? But realise that you are going to Florence in the middle of the busiest tourist season and so accommodation at this late stage might not be the easiest to find!

Re Restaurants Florence is one of the major sites in Italy and sadly therefore most of the well known restaurants are on the tourist track (pretty difficult to avoid in Florence in Summer!) but good ones Borgo Antico, Osteria Santa Spirito, Quatre Leone, Cibreino, Osteria de Benci, Baldovino etc.

Have a lovely stay and hope that helps