We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dqy trip to Lucca & Pisa

NJ
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dqy trip to Lucca & Pisa

We will be in Florence in late Sept. and would like to take a day trip to Lucca & Pisa on our own without booking a tour. Any advice how we can do this?

Walkabout Florence Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cooking Classes, Food Tours, Day Trips
Artviva: The Original & Best Tours Italy
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
FlorenceTown
Sightseeing Tours, Cooking Classes, Bike Tours, Cultural Tours, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
Fun in Tuscany
Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dqy trip to Lucca & Pisa

There are a number of trains that run -- it's about 1-1/2 hours to Lucca, and 2 to Pisa. It's roughly 5 Euros from Florence to Lucca, each way.

Lucca is very nice, with its walls and lovely churches, but if you don't have time to do both, don't worry about skipping Lucca until the next time.

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dqy trip to Lucca & Pisa

You can find train timetables and fares on trenitalia.com - no need to book in advance

California
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dqy trip to Lucca & Pisa

I did same trip this summer and it is very easy

take train from Florence to Pisa

trains run frequently and take about 1 hr

walk around and tour Pisa

hop back on train for quick trip to Lucca (about 15 minutes)

tour Lucca

hop back on train to Florence

very inexpensive train travel and a nice way to spend the day

you can check trenitalia website for exact train times

United States
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dqy trip to Lucca & Pisa

I've read in some posts that once you arrive in Pisa you have to take a bus to get to the tower. Where do you find the bus and is this easily marked for tourists to know where to go?

UK
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dqy trip to Lucca & Pisa

No need to take a bus from the train station in Pisa to the Campo dei Miracoli since it is only a leisurely, scenic 25 minute walk away.

If one is going to see the Torre Pendente in the Campo from Lucca, then take the Lazzi bus service from Piazzale Verdi in Lucca to Pisa since the bus has a stop just outside the Campo's walls - a 5 minute walk to the tower.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
679 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dqy trip to Lucca & Pisa

If you can, book your pisa tower tickets ahead on their website now, so you don't get stuck waiting there for hours for your climb time. Unless you aren't planning to climb the tower. Then you just need to get on a train in time to get there for your ticket time. Only a set number of people is allowed up at one time, and I believe they go up in groups.

In general you will find better food and snacks in Lucca than Pisa.

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dqy trip to Lucca & Pisa

If you find a train going to San Rossore Pisa station, you don't need a bus nor a 25 minutes walk, as this station is very close to the tower.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dqy trip to Lucca & Pisa

You may want to anticipate a long day. It will be 3 to 4 hours on the train, plus time to wait for the trains at each station. In Lucca, the station is outside the walls and you'll have quite a long way to walk to get into the heart of the town. It is definitely do-able, but you could see both places with less effort if you did a tour.

Tuscany Italy
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dqy trip to Lucca & Pisa

I disagree with last post, although Lucca train station is just outside the walls it is only a few minutes walk to the centre. Both Pisa and Lucca are very easy to see by yourself, Lucca especially is very compact, and for Pisa get off at Pisa San Rossore and you're near the tower. I wouldn't waste your money on a tour, give yourself the freedom to see these places at your own pace.

Caroline

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dqy trip to Lucca & Pisa

Perhaps my experience with Lucca is a bit biased by having been there on a hot and rainy day! But it is not a small village with everything close together. The walls around the town are two miles long (great for a bike ride!). From the station to the nearest entrance gate, Porta San Pietro, is about 400 yards; from there to the nearest significant site, San Martino Cathedral, is another 400 yards. Beyond that lies Torre Guinigi, and then Piazza Anfiteatro, and over on another side of town is Puccini's home, and beyond lies Palazzo Mansi. Taxis are sometimes a bit scarce, but they are available.

I personally dislike organized tours, much preferring to see a place on my own. If I were revisiting Lucca, I would try to stay overnight so that I could view it in several different outings. With only one day, though, I'd reluctantly sign up for a tour.