We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Help Needed!!--Museum of San Marco & Medici Chapels

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Upland, California
Level Contributor
55 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Local Help Needed!!--Museum of San Marco & Medici Chapels

Trying to plan my itinerary and need a little help!

My hotel is on Via Cavour near the Accademia. On the day we leave Florence, I want to visit the Museum of San Marco and the Medici Chapels before we set off by train to Rome. I need to know (we will have reservations) how long it might take us to visit these two locations, including walking time.

We are not art historians, just typical first time to Florence tourists trying to see the sights, but also don't want to be running from one thing to another.

Realistically, how much time do we need to see these two locations, plus the walk between them?

London, UK
Level Contributor
520 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Help Needed!!--Museum of San Marco & Medici Chapels

I'd say one to one and a half hours in each and allow half hour to 45 mins in between to allow for sidetracking. Hope that helps

Upland, California
Level Contributor
55 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Help Needed!!--Museum of San Marco & Medici Chapels

Thanks Lots66.

If anyone reading this has a different opinion, please let me know.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,342 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Help Needed!!--Museum of San Marco & Medici Chapels

I'd say quite a bit longer in San Marco than in Medici chapels. I'm not a great fan of the Medici chapels, much preferring the chapel in Palazzo Medici Riccardi. The Medici chapels being full of scaffolding and poorly lit doesn't help. I think on our second visit, we prob. spent about twenty minutes in Medici chapels. San Lorenzo church which adjoins, is nice. San Marco is wonderful tjhough and you prob. will spend over an hour there (even as non art historians!).

My son has just said ten minutes walk max. between the two from what we remember, so half an hour means lots of distractions (can only be shops or the market stalls!)