We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver Mario - Siena and Hilltop Area

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Driver Mario - Siena and Hilltop Area

We are going to Florence at the end of May and tried to hire Mr. Camilli or Rebecca and both were not available. Rebecca scheduled another driver for us - Mario. Has anyone used Mario before? Thanks

Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driver Mario - Siena and Hilltop Area

TTony - I promise to send a report when we return after 30 May.

USA
8 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Driver Mario - Siena and Hilltop Area

goin2 - Bless you! Have a great trip.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driver Mario - Siena and Hilltop Area

My wife and I just returned from a week in Florence. We took two tours - one with Rebecca through Chianti, and one with Mario to some hilltop towns. Mario is now Rebecca's partner and they started a web site - www.tuscan-wine-tours.com. Both days were wonderful. For the first one, Rebecca reserved a wine tour at an amazing place called Castello di Volpaia. It is a medieval city that has turned several of the 700 year old buildings into a modern-day winery. We also ate lunch at the wonderful restaurant there - great food and a greater view. Don't miss it. We also stopped in Castellino in Chianti for an olive oil and balsamic tasting, saw an etruschan tomb, and had more wine at Castle de Brolio. One the second, Mario took us to San Gimignano, Sienna, and Colle de Val D'elsa. Wonderful places, though we would have loved to spend more time in Sienna. That's for another visit. Rebecca is fabulous, as everyone else has said. Mario is very well rounded - he is also a photographer, an actor, and was hired as an announcer for the 2006 winter olympics. He is relatively new with the tours. But he is a lovely person who lives in Tuscany and knows the area very well. I am sure that you will enjoy your day as we did.

Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Driver Mario - Siena and Hilltop Area

rsf629 - thank you for the information! It's great to know in advance what to expect.

Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Driver Mario - Siena and Hilltop Area

ttony - We just returned from our trip to Florence and had a wonderful day trip with Mario. Mario was very good and as mentioned in other response he knows the area very well and can answer any questions. We too went to the same winery and had lunch which was excellent. I definitely would highly recommend Mario to anyone interested in hiring a driver - he also has a great personality which my family enjoyed.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Driver Mario - Siena and Hilltop Area

We just hired Rebecca for a tour in July. I have a question about protocol. Is it appropriate to tip at the conclusion of the tour? Do we also offer to pay for her lunch or does the fee cover everything? Thanks! We are very excited about this tour as we have read nothing but positive things about Rebecca on this forum.

USA
8 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Driver Mario - Siena and Hilltop Area

goin2 - You're a man of your word! Thanks for the feedback on Mario and the day trip. Sounds like you had a great experience. We'll be off in less than two weeks.

Caio!

USA
8 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Driver Mario - Siena and Hilltop Area

Let's try that again!

Ciao! Much better :0)

Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Driver Mario - Siena and Hilltop Area

We used Mario as our guide the end of May and absolutely loved him! He took us to San Gimignano, Siena and all around the Chianti region. He has a great personality, knows the areas, and is just a delight to be with.

USA
8 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Driver Mario - Siena and Hilltop Area

Just back from a week in Florence and Venice and can report that our day with Mario in the Tuscany area was among the treasures we will cherish. He was wonderful, knowledgable, and very easy to befriend.

As an example, one in our group (two couples) had difficulty walking hills so he suggested (and paid for) a private taxi to drive us into and out of the center of Sienna (a very large hilly town) so we could experience the city. Private cars are not allowed in the town.

We also took in San Gimignano, Tuscan lunch and a wine tasting. He was very eager to please and varied his route to suit our taste.

I highly recommend a day with Mario (or Rebecca - who I never met but enjoyed her prompt emails).