We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days in Florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
674 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
How many days in Florence

We will be going to Florence in April...would 6 nights be too many?

Pittsburgh,PA
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: How many days in Florence

Thanks again, Elliemae!! Also , where in Florence do you recommend buying leather gloves? Someone tried to remember a well known place in Rome, that does but thought there might also be a branch of that store in Florence.

Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: How many days in Florence

elliemae,

I agree with you that one can never get enough of Florence!!

I went there 12 years ago for the first time and stayed 2 months learning Italian. Since then, I've been back 8,9 times.

I was just there 2 weeks ago and felt like I was home again!

Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How many days in Florence

maycurl: I remember buying nice gloves in a shop called Madova...but I don;t remember whether it was in Florence or Rome ! LOL

Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How many days in Florence

Ashley: I tell people this all the time: I am convinced I was a Florentine in a former life....I NEVER ever get lost in Florence, and it was like that from the moment I first arrived 30 some years ago as a kid...the most hysterical thing is that I grew up in Philadelphia, well the burbs really, and after two years away at college in Virginia, I transferred back to Penn. On my first trip to downtown Philadelphia, I promptly GOT LOST!!!!!!! How embarrasing! Getting back to Firenze, it just seems like I always know just where I'm going, without ever asking directions...almost eery. I too feel that I am home every time I go back.

jme
allentown, pa
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: How many days in Florence

Elliemae,

Since you are a Pennsylvanian, and so well traveled and so familiar with both Florence and Sorrento, I wonder if you would mind helping me make one last scheduling decision???

We travel from US to Venice with a layover in Milan. We have two nights in Venice then take train to Florence where we pick up a rental car and drive 25 minutes outside of city where we will stay for four nights to see Florence and Tuscan areas (which is really like three full days in the area).

Then we drive to Assisi for a night followed by a drive to Sorrento for three nights (only giving us two full days there).

Then we're off to Rome with a stop at Pompeii for a few hours. We spend three nights but really only two days in Rome.

Here's my question (after all that!!!)---do you think I should switch our four nights in Florence/Tuscany to three nights and add the extra night to Sorrento giving us three full days there? We are traveling with our two teens and wonder which area they would enjoy the most.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have!

Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How many days in Florence

wow...this is a tough choice...sort of like choosing between nocciola (hazlenut) and chocolate chip....i.e., both delicious! OK, seriously, as much as I adore Florence, I'm trying to put my teenage hat on, and I come up with the Amalfi coast (Sorrento) as the final choice for the extra day. Make sure to visit the big ice cream place in Piazza Tasso, the main piazza in Sorrento...best I ever had, and don't miss Capri, Ravello, or Positano while you're there. Go to Capri via

hydrofoil. Have a ball, and "drink a highball at nightfall" (Penn's toast)

jme
allentown, pa
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: How many days in Florence

Grazie, Elliemae! It is so good to receive another person's perspective. I appreciate the time you take to answer these posts.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: How many days in Florence

Elliemae, you are the resident Florentine expert so I'll ask you for advice once again. :)

Did you travel to Florence solo? I ask because I will most likely be traveling solo unfortuntely. If you did go alone, how was the seating at the restaurants? Did they put you like in the middle of the place or did you get a table that was private more or less? Eating alone really unnerves me as you can tell.

Also regarding gloves, yes (!) it was Madova that's the name of the Florentine shop. In fact, I bought my gloves from them via their website!! It worked out great in regards to sizing as you have to fax them tracings of your hands. And the price was less than what I paid here in the department stores for gloves that are made in Asia! Highly highly recommend Madova.

Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: How many days in Florence

Paris1204: so glad I could stir your memory of Madova's name! Yes, I have made most of my trips to Florence solo, and it has never been a problem. Although I lived in NYC for years and it is perfectly acceptable to eat alone in NYC, for a nice restaurant meal anyhwere in any city, I usually prefer to go with a date, or a friend (or preferably friends) or family. That being said, it is common practice for people in the less stuffy restaurants in Italy to sit at communal tables, and that can be alot of fun. Italians go out of their way to make you comfortable, much more than natives of the other countries in Europe. I am much more at peace with eating solo in Florence than I am here in Miami. Lunch is very easy...dinner is a little more of a push. But a place like Mamma Gina's or the White Boar will be easy to deal with.