We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel with a view of florence

NM
3 posts
Save Topic
hotel with a view of florence

Hello everyone!

Can anyone recommend a hotel overlooking the city of Florence?

Thank you.

Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,346 Reviews
from $107.60*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
783 Reviews
from $107.60*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,390 Reviews
from $107.60*
Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel with a view of florence

What kind of view are you hoping for?

If you stay at the Grand Hotel Baglioni, close to the train station, their restaurant and breakfast room upstairs is all windows that overlooks nearly all of Florence, with the Duomo and Mercato Centrale and Santa maria Novella as prime landmarks. From your room though, no, as those floors would be too low. However, when I stayed here for business last year, my room was on the front side, with a magnificent view of the Santa Maria Novella church and the train station. I usually don't like to be quite so close to the station, but it was ok in reality. A bit dodgy at night if you go 50 yards further toward the station but the hotel itself felt very safe.

If you stay at the Hotel Lungarno, on the Oltrarno side just about 50 metres down from the Ponte Vecchio and you get a balcony or window view room, you will have a view of the city walk directly across from you, the river and the Ponte Vecchio. I don't believe there are high enough floors to get a good view "over " the city, however, and for the entire dome of the Duomo.

There are a few small but well-located B&Bs located near famous individual sites like the Duomo or the Ponte Vecchio or Santa Croce church, for example. But I'm not aware of any one that is high enough or located in such a way to overlook them all.

But perhaps our local expert Anon will have a gem in mind that I am unaware of. Just thought I'd share my little knowledge - I hope it helps.

Ciao! LL

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel with a view of florence

Overlooking....

If we are talking still central, the Beacci Tornabuoni www.tornabuonihotels.com/ has a nice terrace. The Lungarno (river view) is uncomparable if you want a view of ponte Vecchio, and the Berchielli is not bad also for that. The Niccolini al Duomo has views towards the Duomo (look at reviews - some complain of noise issues). The Antica Torre Tornabuoni Uno has a nice terrace with great views on the Arno, the Duomo and the hills and some of the rooms have great views. If you want something older, the Plaza Lucchesi river view rooms also have great views.

If we're not talking central and you have the time to commute and enjoy the city, then you have (if your budget allows it) the La Vedetta, http://www.villalavedettahotel.com/

Enjoy!

3. Re: hotel with a view of florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 pm, August 31, 2009