We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Florence to Milan

San Diego
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Florence to Milan

I am having trouble deciding on a route from Florence to Milan that has some scenic stops along the way, but doesn't take more than 5-6 hours. This is our one chance to see the area by car so we would like to go through some interesting places along the way.

If anyone has any suggestions for lunch that would be great, too.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Florence to Milan

We have driven this route a few times. We take the Autostrada and go off it to see the areas we want to explore. I suggest Parma (ham and cheese center of Italy) and Modena (Ferrari's, of course). But be aware that off the highways you may have problems with signage. The smaller roads are clearly marked from the roman times (ha ha, joking) and it is often difficult to figure out which way to turn. A GPS is helpful (with europe maps).

The drive itself on the Autostrada will take about 3 or so hours and when you arrive in the Milan area be prepared to stop for traffic or plan to get there after 7 PM. So, leave Florence early and take enough time to eat some cheese and ham in Parma and look at those great cars in Modena or, stop in any little village along the way.

The other, nice alternative is to drive the SS9 highway which parallels the E36 Autostrada just beginning just past Bologna. It goes through many many little villages and if time does become short, then it is easy to get back on the Autostrada. It is a fun drive as well. You may have difficulty finding English speakers in the smaller places though so be prepared for that as well.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Florence to Milan

I am sorry, I meant to say that the SS9 parallels the E35 (A1) just past Bologna. Bologna is also worth a visit but it cannot be done as a stop and go visit.

Also, a GPS system (Garmin or Tom Tom etc) is a worthwhile expenditure if you are going to travel much. I use mine all over North America and the $50 for the European map database was the best investment I made. I just find it invaluable even if for only finding gas stations off the beaten path. They are very easy to use nowadays and very accurate especially in Europe and major North American cities. You can rent them at some car rental agencies but I do not know the prices.

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Florence to Milan

Why not take the Eurostar, stop in Bologna, leave your luggage at the station's luggage deposit see the city quickly and carry on to Florence on another ES?

4. Re: Driving from Florence to Milan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 pm, September 02, 2009