We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel with parking

Georgia
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
hotel with parking

I am looking for a Florence hotel that provides free parking (we are driving up from rome).

Is this realistic? Are there hotels that will provide parking? We realize that we probably won't be able to stay in the heart of the city; we just want a location that will allow us access to the city. We don't plan on driving while in florence, but we will be using it to later drive to venice.

Any advice is appreciated!

Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,353 Reviews
from $107.70*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
784 Reviews
from $107.70*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,393 Reviews
from $107.70*
Level Contributor
21,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel with parking

There are a few - David, Athenaeum, and residenza michelangelo among the others. But why would you keep a car to visit Florence? And why not travel by Eurostar from Rome (90 min. only)? And rent the car upon leaving Florence?

Georgia
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel with parking

I know it may seem crazy, but my father loves to rent cars. He wants to have the freedom to be able to stop at towns along the way, rather than being dictated by train schedules. I know he's mentioned stopping in Siena for a night.

He also wants to drive to Bern, Switzerland after we leave Venice. haha

Also, I looked into the eurostar, but I only saw that it went from England to France. Is this a different eurostar that is in Italy?

Thanks.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,722 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel with parking

You really should only rent the car when you leave Florence for places such as Siena. If you plan Florence properly (2 to 3 days) and stay at a relatively centrally located hotel, you will never need to go near your car. Besides, certain roads and piazzas of the city center are off-limits to traffic, and even parking at sidestreets near Accademia is severely restricted, usually to residents with permit only. If I were you, I would just see everything that needs to be seen at Florence first, then go to the rental car locations near the Arno (around a 5 minute walk from the Duomo), rent my car, and drive out.

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel with parking

Italy is very well served by local Eurostar, fast trains which crisscross it all. Have a look at trenitalia.com for timetables and fares and look for the ES symbol. In Florence a car is a pure hindrance, and so is in Venice. The drive to Venice is mainly uninspiring and long, if you want to do it with a modicum of efficency. How long do you have and what's your itinerary?

Georgia
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel with parking

Here's the basic itenerary:

Arrive in Rome on Monday June 4, for 3 days. Rent car upon leaving Rome and drive to Florence. We aren't planning on using the car in the large cities, it's just so we can get to each city, and stop along the way if we'd like. We're thinking of stopping in Siena along the way to Florence.

Anyway, a couple days in Florence, then on to Venice for 2 nights. Then we're heading up to the Bernese Oberland area of Switzerland for a couple days, then to London for the last 3 days of our trip.

So, my father would like to take the car all the way to Geneva, where we will then fly out to London.

I think the reasons he wants the car are: not having to buy 4 train tickets for each leg of the trip (since we're a family of 4), having the flexibility to go at our own pace, take day trips places, etc.

So, that's the jist of our trip.

Back to hotels- any recommendations on florence hotels with parking available? We won't be using the car while we're there, just need to be able to park it safely and use public transportation or walk around the city.

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel with parking

Elizabeth -

I completely understand your father's perspective. It is my own as well. My wife and I drove from Rome to Florence, spending a week in Florence. During this week, we used the car to explore the Tuscan countryside, and were glad we had it. We also drove the car to Ravello and used it extensively to tour the Amalfi Coast. I like to do things on my own time, and have the flexibility to change plans at my/our whim. Renting a car certainly allows this.

Having said that, negotiating Florence was a nightmare - AND IT WAS LOW SEASON (April '06). The nightmare of driving in Florence (and Rome) is now a part of our great memories. However, what is now "great" was at the time "@#$! @% &#*$&^".

Our hotel - the Hotel Albani (we very much enjoyed our stay there) - had parking, charging about $30 per day for the service. Of course, it took us over ninety minutes to figure out how to get to the hotel, and I "had to" drive the wrong way on two one-way streets in order to find our way to the hotel entrance ... I swear I am not map-challenged, at least by normal standards. I AM more than challenged when confronted with the task of navigating the historic area of Florence.

Just be prepared (should you elect to drive into the city). A bottle of scotch (strictly POST drive), three Alleve capsules, and a VERY SUPPORTIVE companion or group of driving companions are excellent to have handy (even better, hearing challenged companions - or companions not offended by things the driver's inner demon may spew after about fifty or sixty minutes of the Rubik's Cube that are the streets of Florence.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,722 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel with parking

If you have a number of people, then the cost of the car becomes more reasonable when you divide it on a per head basis. I am all for having a car between cities, especially in scenic areas such as Tuscany where I stopped at many hill towns as well and admired the view.

Having a car in the city and just leaving it in a parking garage, on the other hand, would seem to be a waste of money not only in terms of the parking charge but also the rental fee. You can always return it and then pick another one up again. Just my two cents!

I don't know if centrally located hotels offer free parking. The hotel I stayed at, San Gallo Palace, is at Piazza Liberta, about a 15 minute walk to the Duomo. They had a secured underground garage next door and you could park there at a reduced rate of 10 Euros a day.

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel with parking

The Hotel David has parking space for free. It is located in a good position in the Oltrarno section for entering and exiting the city. It really is a wonderful hotel. Check it out if you are going to have a car!

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel with parking

I already gave you my list which included the David.

Washington State
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel with parking

I just took a month long trip through Europe and we drive everywhere, including all over Italy. We had a few stressful moments, but we bought a gps so that helped a lot.

Florence was actually the most stressful because we knew we would be fined for driving into certain areas, which we ended up doing. We drove right by the duomo while trying to get to our hotel. Our hotel was actually right on the edge of the restriced zone. Luckily, our hotel took our license plate number to send to the police so the car rental company wouldn't charge us.

Overall, I was very glad we had a car. We left it at the parking garage outside of Venice and then drove to Switzerland after our stay there. If you can handle the occasional stress of driving I would go with the car for the convenience of it.

I would also think about getting a gps, depending on how concerned you are about driving. That was a lifesaver more than once.