We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with Northern Italy itinerary

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
117 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with Northern Italy itinerary

Hi, We are a family of 6 (2 girls age 18 and 2 boys age 14 and 11) and we will be visiting Italy in July for around 11 nights before travelling to Croatia for 1 week. Having just read a hilarious book called Not Another Book about Italy by an Australian travel writer, some of the places we would like to visit are Venice, Santa Margherita (which will be our base for a couple of days and do some day trips), Florence and Siena. We will be flying from London to Venice and leaving from Ancona on the ferry to Split. I'm just not sure in what order we should visit the various towns and want to maximise our sightseeing time. I'm hoping that someone out there is familiar with the area and trains and can offer some advice.

london
Level Contributor
62 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with Northern Italy itinerary

Hi, it seems you are going from the east coast to the west coast and then back to the east coast... this may not be so efficient... The problem is Santa Margherita, (by which I presume you mean Santa Margherita Ligure) which is very west and the connection with Venice or Ancona requires some interchanges due to the mountains in between.

If you still haven't booked your flight from London, I would fly to Genova (with budget airline www.ryanair.com) which is the nearest airport to Santa Margherita, then go to Firenze and Siena (about 3hrs), then go to Venice, (about 3 hrs) and finally to Ancona (4.5 hrs).

Otherwise if you can't change your flight, it seems that at least one leg of your train journeys will have to be a bit longer (up to 7 hrs) with some interchanges.

I suggest you play the various combinations in Italian railway website www.trenitalia.it

You might have read that trains in Italy are not great, often old and dirty. The upside though is that they are cheaper than in other European countries. I hope you don't get upset by this and enjoy your journey! And protect your girls from Italian boys :-) only joking, don't worry!

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with Northern Italy itinerary

The Genoa option is excellent, in my opinion. And if you travel by Eurostar or intercity trains I hope you will be surprised by how nice and clean the trains are.

Enjoy!

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with Northern Italy itinerary

Good advice, annajo, don't cross the country twice.

At the moment Ryanair are offering Genoa from Stanstead for 1p.!

plus taxes of course.

As for the trains, Anon is right to leap to their defence, in my experience even the local Direttos are spotless and put our rail network to shame.

Have a good trip.

Sydney
Level Contributor
117 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with Northern Italy itinerary

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will definitely look into flying to Genoa.

5. Re: Need help with Northern Italy itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, August 23, 2009