We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is cortona conveinant by train?

NYC
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Is cortona conveinant by train?

I am thinking of syaing in cortona,and useing it as a base to see the area.Is it conveinant by train for day trips around the area?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is cortona conveinant by train?

Cortona doesn;t have a train station. The closest train stations are in small towns, not too far away, about 10 minutes by car, calle Camucia and Terontola. To Florence is about 1 hour and a half. I love Cortona and there is so much to see in the surrounding area, both on Tuscan as well as Umbrian territory. However, to get the most out of your explorations, I recommend you rent a car.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
10 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is cortona conveinant by train?

i agree with previous poster in part. the two closeby train station, Camucia-Cortona and Terontola are great paces to take off for day trips to just about anyplace, but you'll need a car to get to those stations. cab service is VERY iffy in Cortona, though buses run up and down the hill to the Camucia-Cortona station from town. our villa was about half way between both stations, so we took advantage of the good connections each offer. however, in order to enjoy the more rural areas nearby, such as the glorious Umbrian countryside, get a car, if only for a few days.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
18 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is cortona conveinant by train?

After spending a week in a villa just outside of Cortona this past July (2004) I can verify what the previous respondants have offered: the train is not the best way to visit Cortona. Of course, you could get a car & driver to take you from the train to Cortona and it's a small enough town to walk around as long as you're staying in the immediate area. But, without a car, you'll be limited to Cortona itself and���while it has some nice shops, great restaurants and fabulous views���I could see it getting tired after 3 or 4 days. it's a relatively small town and quite fun to explore the back streets and alleys, the churches and shops, as long as you like walking and the hilly streets don't get the best of you.

If using Cortona as a base to see the rest of Tuscany & Umbria (as we did) you really should rent a car. Keep in mind that most rentals in Italy are standard shift and there are lots of narrow, winding & steep hilly roads going to ancient fortress/hilltop towns like Cortona, Montelpuciano and Perugia. So if you're not good with a clutch, hire a car & driver because these are some of the best places to visit and you shouldn't miss them. Parking is tricky in some of these towns and you often have to pay to park and still walk a lot... but it's worth it. We all need the exercise anyway, don't we?