We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding addresses in Italy, and things to do...

San Jose, California
2 posts
Save Topic
Finding addresses in Italy, and things to do...

Hi All!

Two weeks until we leave for our first trip to Italy. Can you tell me how to read an address, and maybe a few tips that might help me locate an address on a map. Here's one place I think I'd like to visit, maybe you can help me figure out how to find this on a map:

Peggy Guggenheim Collection

Palazzo Venier dei Leoni

701 Dorsoduro

30123 Venice

Italy

Also, we will be in Venice for three days, Tuscany (Cortona to be exact) for four days, and then Rome for three days. Do you have any tips of things to do "off the beaten path"? We'd like to enjoy some of the things the locals do if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Ron

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Cortona
Cortona
Province of Arezzo, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
NYC
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding addresses in Italy, and things to do...

Hi Ron

I can't help you with the numbering system, but I can tell you that Dorsoduro is one of the sestieri/sections (i.e. neighborhoods) of Venice (San Marco, San Polo, Castello, Cannareggio, Dorsoduro, Santa Croce & outer islands). I love Dorsoduro & have always stayed in that area. The Accademia museum is in Dorsoduro and if you walk east of it, you'll encounter the Peggy Guggenheim Collection (housed in her former residence, the Palazzo Venier) along the Fondamenta Venier dei Leoni. Get a good map of Venice before you go (I like the 'Streetwise' series...laminated & small - the museum is indicated on the map). Be sure to check out the 'zattere' area of Dorsoduro, which faces the Giudecca canal...very picturesque (good gelato at Nico too). Also beautiful churches in Dorsoduro - S. Maria d. Salute, Gesuati, etc.

Great that you're visiting Tuscany/Cortona & Rome too! I've visited Cortona & thought it was lovely (can't remember the names of things there, but it's a charming hilltop town & easy to move around). I love Rome...be sure to wander west of Campo dei Fiori into the heart of Renaissance Rome (Piazza Farnese, Via Giulia, Via Monserrato, Via Banchi Vecchi, etc) as well as the historic ghetto area east of Via Arenula, & around the Theater of Marcellus. Trastevere is just across the river & well worth exploring. Lots of cafe/dining options in all of these neighborhoods...have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Dorsoduro
Dorsoduro
2,065 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
San Polo
San Polo
176 Reviews
Venice, Italy