We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire

Which Cortona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Car Hire

Is it easy to hire a car on arrival in Cortona, Italy, in September, rather than hiring one from home before I leave? Or will I miss out on the type of car I would prefer?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,983 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car Hire

I recommend that a rental car be prebooked and prepaid in advance. For our trips, we always book here in the States with AutoEurope or its sister company, Kemwel, which are brokers located in Maine. Their customer service is superb and the prices are very good.

Just a note here about Cortona, I think that some areas within the old section are parking with permit only, so be careful. We met a couple of ladies who had their hired car towed and ended up paying something like 250 Euro in fines to get the car back. They parked the car in front of their B&B which required a permit. Just saying.

Cortona, Tuscany...
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car Hire

Panichi is not in Terontola, it is on the way from Camucia to Arezzo ,about 3 km from Camucia toward Arezzo.

Cortona, Tuscany...
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car Hire

It is better to book the car from your country, arriving to Cortona by train and rent the car here has no sense, only for whom is not comfortable to drive on the highway.

Edited: 4:10 pm, April 07, 2012
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Car Hire

For sure, book from the US first - it is cheaper. But another option with more choices as LaMucchia suggests, is to train to either Chiusi or Arezzo (one is south and the other north of Cortona) and pick up your rental there. Those two locations have the major rental agencies that you might be more familiar with - Avis, Hertz, etc. and definitely check www.autoeurope.com

15. Re: Car Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:41 pm, June 17, 2013