We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mass times

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Mass times

Ciao!

My mother and I will be in Cortona from 4 - 18 April next year (ie: for Pasqua).

I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a site with Mass times (vigil and Sunday mornings).

I Was also hoping for advice on the most interesting churches/services (eg: we're aiming for the Gregorian chant Mass at Notre Dame while in Paris).

Mum will want to get to Mass on either in the 4th or 5th (depending on what time we arrive in Cortona) and, of course, on either the 11th or the 12th.

Grazie...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,284 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mass times

There are about 20 churches in and immediately around Cortona so finding a vigil or Sunday service should not be a problem. However, why not email the tourist office and ask

E-mail: infocortona@apt.arezzo.it

If you need to translate your email into Italian and do not have good Italian skills, use Babelfish translator.

uk.babelfish.yahoo.com

It is not perfect but it is very good English to Italian. Not so good Italian to English.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,284 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mass times

Also found this on a website about a B&B in Cortona

www.casasanmarco.com/casasanmarco_withmap.pdf

The post is no more than two years old, 2006-2007 I'd say.

The Singing Nuns

There is a mass every morning at 8 AM at Santa Chiara Monastery directly above you. At this particular mass, the sisters who reside at the convent, sing thru much of the mass and truly it is like hearing the angels sing. The church is a little chapel within the monastery so the experience is very intimate. I cannot recommend hearing

them highly enough! To get to the church, exit casa San marco and turn right to the end of the street where the road goes in a “Y”. Continue to your left up the hill 50 ft. or so until you reach the wall where you can look out over the valley. Turn left up the steep street directly in front of you via San Niccolo. You will see the large walled convent on your left and the door to the chapel is midway, and will be labeled Santa Chiara. Arrive a few minutes before 8 so as not to disrupt the service. It lasts about an hour.

There is more on the site but no times given and of course nothing about Easter. However, there will be joyful celebrations through the town, quite possibly processions and it will be uplifting and very beautiful.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mass times

Wow, that info on the Singing Nuns is very helpful to us. We'll be in Cortona in late April and will make a serious effort to get there on one of our mornings. What a great way to start off our morning!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mass times

lynnb48: thanks for the response. I'm a bit of a googletranslate fan myself, but I was hoping to get personal recommendations from people who've celebrated Mass in Cortona - particularly when there was a big religious festival.

Not religious myself, but Mum is and it's her first trip away from our island continent.

In the meantime - very much enjoy your posts and and I *need* you to tell me what's in the photo that comes with your avatar. I've been struggling to work it out....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,284 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mass times

It is semi dried artichoke flowers, what you get if you allow a globe artichoke to flower. They are spectacular and I have only ever seen them at this one little florist in L'Isle sur La Sorgue. Saw them in two different years. I'll see if I can send it to you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,284 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mass times

The picture is on my blog in a bigger format www.lynnbooth.blogspot.com in the section called "A week in Provence"

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mass times

Lynn: the photo is stunning. My Mum & Dad will be passing through L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue in mid-May en route from Luberon. Any idea if the artichokes will be in flower then (note you were there in August)?

Also - they're having a hard time finding a decently priced B&B in the Châteauneuf-du-Pape area. Any ideas?

8. Re: Mass times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, October 13, 2009