We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental and train station in Cortona

Sudbury, Ontario
Level Contributor
39 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental and train station in Cortona

We are travelling to Cortona at the end of May and can't seem to find out if you can rent a car in Cortona, or even if the train stops there.

Does anyone know?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cortona
Cortona
Province of Arezzo, Italy
Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental and train station in Cortona

We're going to Cortona in June and I have reserved a car from a rental company in Cortona named - Il Girasole. Their email address is info@autoleggioilgirasole.it. I had read good things about them so instead of driving up from Fiumicino, we decided to take the train and rent a car in Cortona. I found their rates to be pretty good with a good selection of vehicles. Now all they have to do is live up to their reputation. Il Girasole is located next to the Terontola station so if you make a reservation there, make sure you go to the right station. I say that because there are TWO train stations in Cortona. One is "Terontola" which is about 15 km south of Cortona. It is my understanding that the Terontola station serves the "north - south" train lines so trains from Rome or Venice would stop at this station. The other station is "Carmucia" which is located at the bottom of the hill just below Cortona and services the local "east - west" lines.

As we are going after you, maybe you can do me a favor. If you are staying in, visiting, or dining in Cortona, perhaps you could give us an idea of somewhere good to eat there. We have rented a home over near Umbertide and our plan is to arrive in Cortona about 1:00 pm on a Saturday, have lunch and do some grocery shopping before we drive over to the villa. If you eat somewhere memorable, please let me know.

Mentioned in this post
Cortona
Cortona
Fiumicino
Fiumicino
Province of Rome, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sudbury, Ontario
Level Contributor
39 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental and train station in Cortona

Will do!

el dorado hills
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental and train station in Cortona

We use Il Girasole last Oct. They were great and had the best rate we could find. There were eight of us and we couldn't fit all of our luggage in our vehicle. The took the luggage to our villa and picked them up for a reasonable fee. I would use them again. John

Williamsburg...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental and train station in Cortona

We stayed in Cortona last June and I can't wait to go back - it was amazing!

Several of the places we ate which were all delicious were:

La Locanda nel Loggiato - overlooks one of the two piazzas - delicious and lots of atmosphere!

La Saletta - also wonderful!

Trattoria Toscana - again, good atmosphere and great food!

FuFluns - a little more casual, but still good atmosphere and great food!

We had wonderful food and fun the whole week we were there. There's also a grocery at the foot of the town hall steps that has great sandwiches and picnic fare.

Hope this helps - you'll have a fabulous time!

Hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Cortona
Cortona
Trattoria Toscana
Trattoria Toscana
1,091 Reviews
Cortona, Italy
durham
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental and train station in Cortona

Hi I haven't used IL Giasole but have heard good things about it. If you are looking to stock up on groceries to go to your villa there is a big coop in camucia which will have everything you need. I would agree with the restaurant choices already given and add Le Grotto, fantastic gnocci and great bistecca and definatley Osteria del Teatro. Have been there many times and have never been disappointed. If you need any more advice you can get me billfish08@yahoo.co.uk

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Osteria del Teatro
Osteria del Teatro
2,361 Reviews
Cortona, Italy
montreal
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental and train station in Cortona

Hi

We are thinking of Cortona after visiting Rome. Which hotel did you book?

Lise Qc.

Mentioned in this post
Cortona
Cortona
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
durham
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental and train station in Cortona

Hi

We have stayed at hotel San Luca which is in Cortona itself. If you can get a rom with a view it is stunning. We have also stayed at a B&B called rugapianna Vacanze, which is on the main street in Cortona. We have also stayed down in Camucia 3km below Cortona at Il melone, which is stunning with its own heated pool, gardens and retaurant and at another B&B just around the corner Il sole de sodo. They are all good depending on what you want from your stay. If you want any more info you can get me on billfish08@yahoo.co.uk

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Hotel San Luca
Hotel San Luca
423 Reviews
Cortona, Italy
Cortona
Cortona
montreal
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental and train station in Cortona

Please let us know about your rental choice....curious about

cost and milage fees etc....we are travelling to Cortona in Oct.

Also would like your opinion on best places to drive.

Will be watching for your trip report.

Mentioned in this post
Cortona
Cortona
Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental and train station in Cortona

Returned from Italy yesterday. We rented a villa in Umbria about 25 miles from Cortona and rather than rent a car at Fiumicino, we took the train to Cortona - Terontola and rented a mini van from Il Girasole. We had the van over a two week period and put about 2500 km on it. The total cost (minus fuel) was around 1200 euros - which included all insurances plus the cost for additional drivers.

I rented from Il Girasole because I had read positive reviews about them, they were the only company that could provide me with the type of vehicle I needed, and they had the best rates. The vehicle we rented was a Ford 'Galaxy' 9 passenger mini van that drove and maneuvered like a car (which comes in handy if you drive into some of the Umbrian and Tuscan hill towns).

I would recommend calling Massimo (at Il Girasole near the Cortona - Terontola train station) and seeing if he can meet your rental needs. He provided me with a good vehicle at a good price and with no problems. By the way, Massimo speaks English too.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Cortona
Cortona
Fiumicino
Fiumicino
Province of Rome, Italy
United States
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental and train station in Cortona

Bajajon:

I just spoke with Massimo and he seems lovely. By any chance did you rent a Ford Transit van? That is the vehicle he has available for our 6-person group...but I am a bit nervous about navigating it around Tuscany given the narrow roads and hairpin turns. I'd love to know how this drives and how it compares to mini-vans in the United States.

Thanks,

Laura

Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Cortona