We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please 3 days to fill between Venice and Rome

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
71 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Help please 3 days to fill between Venice and Rome

Hello

Planning a 14 night trip to Italy in mid- May, starting in Venice and flying out of Naples. Suggestions needed for 3 days in Tuscany after leaving from Venice.

Here's our plan :

Day 1 Arrive Venice, staying in Cannaregio,

Day 2 Venice

**Day 3, Day 4, Day 5- need suggestions for 3 nights in Tuscany or Umbria, the attractions for us are visiting the wine country and villages and seeing the scenery rather than exploring the beautiful art cities. Do not want to stay in Siena. Open to a small group tour, or renting a car although I haven't researched the logistics of that.

Day 6 train to Rome from wherever

Day 7 Rome

Day 8 Rome

Day 9 Travel to Capri, plan to Take Eurostar Freccia Ross (TAV) from Rome Termini train station to Naples Piazza Garibalfi Train Station, then taxi to ferry port

Day 10 Capri

Day 11 Capri

** Day 12 leave Capri, advice needed on Naples area hotel for 3 nights with reasonable access to airport

Day 13 Amalfi coast ( probably with a small group tour) ?

Day 14 Herculenium or Pompeii

Day 15 fly home late morning from Naples

Thanks for any help

1. Re: Help please 3 days to fill between Venice and Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, January 25, 2016
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
39,809 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please 3 days to fill between Venice and Rome

For me, your itinerary is too rushed. You've given yourself just two days in Rome and Capris, a single day in Venice and no time in Naples. I would take those three days and add one to each location. This will give you more time to see these wonderful cities and you won't waste as much time to travel as you have listed.

If you really want to visit another city you might consider Lucca.

Donna

California
Level Contributor
7,573 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please 3 days to fill between Venice and Rome

I think the most logical would be to stay in Florence plus it's a very easy trip via train. Florence tends to be the main "hub" for Tuscany exploring.

As for the rest of your trip, do you really want/need to spend that much time in Capri? Nothing wrong with Capri but to many people it's more of a day trip if your staying in Naples or Sorrento area. For me I'd rather stay in Sorrento and just take the ferry over for the day.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
71 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please 3 days to fill between Venice and Rome

Thank you for your advice,! will check out Lucca Thinking of renting a car from Venice and driving to Pienza, staying there 3 nights , then dropping off the car in Orvieto, and then train to Rome . Would rather not rent a car, but unless we stay in Florence, there are no small group day tours I can find in any smaller cities/ towns.

Does anyone know of any small group tours out of anywhere but Florence ?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please 3 days to fill between Venice and Rome

Yes - Siena, where you also don't want to stay! But, if you were staying in any of the places visited on the tour (Montalcino, Montepulciano), you could always join a tour from Siena/Florence there (check where this one picks up http://www.montalcinowinetours.com/en/activities/Brunello-wine-tours.html). Otherwise, a private custom tour would probably pick you up from anywhere - but Lucca is rather far away.

Also, Pienza would be easier to stay in with a car than Lucca, although you could also take the train to Chiusi-Chianciano Terme (about 4 1/2 hrs via Bologna) and either stay there (maybe joining a wine tour from Siena by taking a bus or taxi to the first stopping point), or hire a car from there.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
71 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please 3 days to fill between Venice and Rome

Thank you /qaminari

Excellent advice

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
71 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please 3 days to fill between Venice and Rome

Decided to stay in Orvieto in Umbria, looks amazing, and found some fun day tours from there. Thanks all !

8. Re: Help please 3 days to fill between Venice and Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 02, 2017