We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone purchase

richmond va
Level Contributor
282 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phone purchase

Although we have a US cell phone for home emergencies, we will need to purchase an Italian

cell phone for local reservations and arrangements (our rented apartment does not have a telephone.) We will be flying into Pisa on a Monday for a stay in Lucca. Will there be phones for sale in the airport? I have read that this is not the best place to purchase... I see lots of comments

about TIM stores. Is there one in Lucca? We will be going by taxi to an apartment within the walls.

Any advice is appreciated.

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone purchase

There's a TIM shop in Lucca on the main shopping street, Via Fillungo.

mesh

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,304 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone purchase

Buy the cheapest unlocked phone you can find before leaving - $30 or so - and then buy a TIM SIM card when you arrive. Put 20 euros or so on it - that should last quite a while for what you want to do.

NY
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone purchase

$19 plus shipping on this website - but still advise to get an Italian sim after arriving in Italy. This is not a smart phone

http://www.telestial.com/

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
86 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone purchase

We bought unlocked gsm flip-type phones from wal-mart.com. no shipping charge if delivered to the store. Then we went into the first TIM store we found to buy the sim cards. Worked GREAT.

The phones were $29 and the card was about 20 euro. Didn't use all the time so loaned them to a colleague for her trip. She was so delighted she added time to the cards and the phones are loaned out again to another traveler to Italy.

Also experimented with a mail-order sim card through a Canadian company. It didn't work as well.

NY
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phone purchase

Typically mail order sims for use in Italy will not be true Italy number cards, usually they will be like UK numbers or Estonia numbers, etc and I found do not work as well as real Italy sim, for which you have to submit passport - I think best to go to the TIM or other store with the unlocked phone.

6. Re: Cell phone purchase

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 01, 2014