We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me modify itinerary

usa
Level Contributor
335 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Please help me modify itinerary

Hi Everyone,

Usually I plan well in advance for our trips but there has been a death in the family and with 1 week to go I don't have anything. So,please help me out.....

We are arriving in Rome in early Oct and will have 7 days to explore Tuscany.Here's a brief itinerary I tried to put together after doing some reading. We don't want a military march through Tuscany but a much needed fun and relaxing vacation

Day 1: Pick up car in Rome from FCO and drive to our villa in San Vicenzo a torri ( near Montelupo). Any recommendations on where to stop and take breaks on the way?

Day 2: Explore. Radda,Gaiole in Chianti

Day 3: Explor Castellina, Greve and maybe Panzano

Day 4 ; Montalcino, Pienza, Montelpulciano ( I'm not sure but maybe this is too much)

Day 5: San Gimignano and Volterra ( again if too much , maybe skip San gimignano)

Day 6: Lucca, (maybe Pisa also)

Day 7: Arezzo

I wanted to see Cortona too but don't know if it can be done.

We would like to visit 1 or 2 wineries and thermal hot springs.

Oh! I forgot to mention we've been to Siena on an earlier trip.

I would really appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thank you !

pisa
Level Contributor
752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me modify itinerary

in 7 days stay in no more than 2, max 3 towns...1 in south, one in north...maybe one stay in town and the other in countryside. arezzo is far from pisa and lucca...better to be visited based near siena...good base for north is the pisa/lucca area: ok for volterra and san g. and for thermal spring (my preferred in casciana terme, but also san giuliano or montecatini)...what kind of accomodation are you loocking for??

let us know

cheers

silvia

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,611 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me modify itinerary

So it looks as though you have a villa booked near Montelupo for the week. A nice stop on the way up is Orvieto, once you come off the motorway, you can either follow signs to the funicular and catch the funicular or a bus up to the old town, or you can drive right up to the old town and park in the large car park just outside the walls - do not attempt to enter the walls though, as there is a camera enforced ZTL there.

If you don't have time to see Orvieto (it really needs a couple of hours), then Chiusi old town is a quicker stop and quiet pleasant for a little wander and grabbing a panini or something for lunch. When you come off the motorway and head to Chiusi, there are traffic lights and a split in the road, one leads down to Chiusi Scalo, the other up to Chiusi centro, head up. You will soon see parking on the main road and you can just walk into up into the town from there - it is much smaller than Orvieto.

As for your itinerary, it does look very busy for someone who is looking for a relaxed holiday. Don't underestimate the restorative powers of just relaxing in a beautiful setting with a glass of fine Chianti and just taking in the view and different plants, birds and insects. You don't have any 'downdays' in your itinerary and may well need one or two, especially after your arrival. Perhaps prioritise the day trips you want to make and give yourself permission to drop one or two, if you need to.

Use via michelin (and remember they are a bit optimistic) to work out the driving times of your day trips, so you have an idea of what you are facing.

If I had to cut some of those day trips down, I would certainly leave out San Gimignano, Pisa and Arezzo. I would also seriously think about the Montalcino - Montepulciano trip, not it isn't wonderful, but because from where you are based it will be a long tiring day.

Edited: 3:26 am, September 22, 2010
pisa
Level Contributor
752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me modify itinerary

sorry...i didnt read the villa reservation in the south area...so, cut lucca and pisa...they're too far...

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,611 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me modify itinerary

Unless, I have got very confused the OP is staying near Empoli, so I don't think Lucca is too far.

usa
Level Contributor
335 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me modify itinerary

Peggypatch and Silvia ,Thank you!

Peggypatch,

Thank you for all the great Info. Chiusi on the way to Tuscany sounds great. Will also drop off some of the places you suggested especially San G., and Pisa. I did some research on via Michelin and you are right it would be too much.

I think we will spend more time driving around and visiting the small villages in Chianti like Radda, Giaole, Castellina etc. and take it from there. Places like Lucca , Arezzo and Volterra which are further away, we will decide on once we have settled down.

Thanks again!

6. Re: Please help me modify itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:32 am, March 23, 2011