We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go on the Tuscany coast for 5 days in June?

Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to go on the Tuscany coast for 5 days in June?

My Wife and I are travelling to Tuscany in June. We are going to stay in the Chianti region for a few days as well as Pisa. We then have about 5 days to be beside the sea.

Can you recommend a good town/village on the coast? We would be looking to spend almost all our time there, relaxing by the sea/pool. It should have good restaurants and some nice bars as well.

Have not been to Tuscany so I dont know where to go on the coast. Thanks for the help.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,868 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go on the Tuscany coast for 5 days in June?

Beautiful www.cinqueterreonline.com train from Pisa www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
539 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go on the Tuscany coast for 5 days in June?

Depending what you like to do Cinque Terre is beautiful but not necessarily a "relaxing by the pool" kind of place. Lots of stunning sea views, hiking trails between the 5 towns, shops, restaurants, etc. and very busy during the summer. (It is not in Tuscany but on the Ligurian coast)

A place that fits your description is a little north of CT called Camogli. A charming fishing village and harbor with restaurants, shops, beach, etc. We have gone there three separate times after spending a couple of weeks inland in Tuscany. It takes about 2 hrs to get there from Siena. The scenery from the seaside restaurants is stunning. In the evening the town comes alive during "passagiata" (families strolling thru town in the evening) with kids playing games in the town square with grandparents watching and chatting. Like scenes from an Italian movie!

The beaches are crowded during the day - but otherwise we've never found it particularly crowded. It is like a sleepy version of the well-known harbor town of Portofino nearby. You can get to Cinque Terre very easily from there for a day trip (I think boats go there regularly during the summer).

We splurge when we go to Camogli and stay in Hotel Cenobia dei Dogi which has a lovely pool, restaurants, lots of areas to relax and spectacular panoramic views of the sea and Genoa in the distance. But it is expensive. However there are other hotels on the harbor and next time we are considering staying at Hotel Casmona. See their websites: http://www.cenobio.com/ or

The other option is to explore the coast just northeast of Pisa and Lucca. Viareggio being a very popular beach destination. Other beaches and towns line that coast. You can do a search here on TA for Viareggio to get some more info.

Enjoy your trip!

Carrara, Italy
Level Contributor
230 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go on the Tuscany coast for 5 days in June?

There are some very nice location on the northern riviera and you could also discover "new places" from there!

Viareggio - nice harbour town

Marina di Pietrasanta - tourist town

Forte dei Marmi - very exclusive town

Marina di Massa - tourist town

Each of them has sandy beach, beach clubs, most with swimming pool, nice hotels and restaurants.

From this area you could also organize day trips to Cinque Terre, Carrara Marble quarries, Sarzana, the green Lunigiana...

Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go on the Tuscany coast for 5 days in June?

HI , i am also looking for info similar to thisonly i will go in early may, maybe too early for beaches, anyone have any advice on beaches down south tuscany

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go on the Tuscany coast for 5 days in June?

Down south of Tuscany definitely Castiglione della Pescaia, long sandy beaches and the old village on top of a hill facing the sea...it's just wonderful!

6. Re: Where to go on the Tuscany coast for 5 days in June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 29, 2010
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor