We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuscan beaches

Ely, Minnesota
Level Contributor
318 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Tuscan beaches

I am looking for advice on sand beach areas in Tuscany. We will be there for a few days the very end of April, so I know it's not exactly swimming weather, but to be able to stroll on a lovely sand beach on the Mediterranean would be great. (I am going to be in the CT just before.) I have read that the northern Tuscany beaches around Viareggio are polluted and the southern ones around Grosseto are more pristine. Is that true? Is that more likely when it is tourist season rather than in April or is it the water that is polluted? Can anyone give me some suggestions? Thanks so much!

Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
770 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuscan beaches

The best sandy areas are in the Maremma. Take a look at these two blogs:

athomeintuscany.org/2009/…

casinadirosa.it/en/coastandbeachesofmaremma.…

www.maremmaguide.com/italy-beaches.html

Marina di Alberese, in the Maremma nature park, is really nice.

Ely, Minnesota
Level Contributor
318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuscan beaches

Thank you! Those websites are very helpful!

pisa
Level Contributor
752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuscan beaches

i like very much sandy beach near pisa:Marina di Vecchiano

have a look www.marinadivecchiano.it/inglese/index.asp

there are other treads about it in TA

cheers

silvia

Firenze
Level Contributor
557 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuscan beaches

I second Casina di Rosa's excellent advice to go to Maremma, where I think the beaches are the best. At the end of April if you're lucky you might get a warm sunny day though you'd have to be daring to go in the water!

You might find some useful information on the official website of Tuscany under Maremma here: http://bit.ly/3Tgr31

Texas
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tuscan beaches

I enjoyed the beaches further south towards Grosseto, Donoratico, San Vincenzo, Populonia, just beautiful and not too crowded.

6. Re: Tuscan beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 21, 2010