We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When are sunflowers blooming in Italy?

az
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
When are sunflowers blooming in Italy?

I was hoping I might see some when I go there end of may and first week of June.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When are sunflowers blooming in Italy?

Two of our trips were at the same time you're going and yes, we saw lots of fields of sunflowers. I don't know when the peak is, but both suflowers and poppies were blooming.

italybound@verizon.net

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: When are sunflowers blooming in Italy?

End of May and June is when they are at their best here in Northern Marche which by the way has all that Tuscany has to offer. Sunflower filled fields, rows of cypress trees, medieval hilltop villages and olive trees by the ton.

Less touristy in most places too.

Mentioned in this post
Marche
Marche
Italy
Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
770 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When are sunflowers blooming in Italy?

Actually, they are generally at the end of June and in July. If the Spring is particularly warm you may see them at the beginning of June as well.

New York
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When are sunflowers blooming in Italy?

I drove through Tuscany is mid August a few years ago. We saw fields and fields of sunflowers. It was so beautiful I was almost doubtful that I'd seen them.

Mentioned in this post
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When are sunflowers blooming in Italy?

Here in central Marche, near sea level, they are usually at their best in mid July. However it depends on the weather and the altitude. If it's a hot dry summer, they bloom earlier and don't last very long. At higher altitudes they bloom later. We were at our "summer hovel" in the mountains of Le Marche in mid-August last year. The sunflowers were in full bloom there, although they had finished nearer sea level weeks earlier.

I've never seen sunflowers in bloom in early June. That's a good time to see fields of poppies, though.

Mentioned in this post
Marche
Marche
Italy
Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: When are sunflowers blooming in Italy?

So you see even the sunflowers are regional in their operations.

We have them here in full bloom throughout the month of June but as has been said I have seen some smaller ones bloom later at higher levels in other areas of Italy.

Weather also plays a part and so over the last few years they have been blooming earlier in this part of the world.

I just love the fields and fields as they stretch as far as the eye can see.

So solare.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
London
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: When are sunflowers blooming in Italy?

My wife and I will be visiting Tuscany next weekend, and we are very keen to see the fields of sunflowers. Can any of you who have been there recently point us in the direction of the best places to see them!

Many thanks in anticipation,

TC

Mentioned in this post
Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: When are sunflowers blooming in Italy?

We were saying only this morning that they're not really at their best in southern Tuscany just yet. There are a few fields around Sarteano/Cetona but the best we've seen so far this summer were a bit further south in Umbria just north of Orvieto. Good luck hunting though, it's a fantastic sight when you suddenly turn a corner and see them.

Mentioned in this post
Sarteano
Sarteano
Province of Siena, Italy
Cetona
Cetona
Province of Siena, Italy
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When are sunflowers blooming in Italy?

In Le Marche, the best of the sunflowers lasted less than a week. This wasn't a good year for them. First of all, it rained so much in the spring that most farmers planted them late. Then, just as they were about to bloom, it suddenly got very hot and dry. To finish them off, it just took a three-day scirocco wind blast. A local farmer's wife said that she didn't even get a chance to pick a bunch of them for the house.

At higher elevations, they plant them later and they bloom later. So if you see a field that's way past its prime, head for the hills. In southern Le Marche, which is higher than here, they are sometimes still blooming in mid-August. However, an individual field is only as its best for about a week, maximum two, in the best of circumstances.

Mentioned in this post
Marche
Marche
Italy
Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: When are sunflowers blooming in Italy?

Hah, bv's post explains a lot, of course, it's the rotten late spring weather. They don't seem that good this year and so many have weedy looking heads that are not particularly large either. Noticed acres and acres of them in Lazio yesterday lining the A1 near Settebagni. Honestly, there were fields and fields for as far as the eye could see. But even these, this far south, looked a bit sad and sorry for themselves.

Mentioned in this post
Lazio
Lazio
Italy