We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Tuscany walk!

Chicago
Level Contributor
204 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Tuscany walk!

My husband and I are planning an independent walking tour in Tuscany in April. We're going with a company that hauls your luggage from inn to inn and provides a route map, restaurant/winery recommendations, etc., and then you walk alone on your own schedule each day.

The question: there are a couple walks to choose from, and we can't decide. Each is around 6-8 days and around the same price. We love food and wine, being outdoors, and being in less tourist-y places. We're not so big into art/architecture, but more into food/ambiance/daily life.

I've been to Italy three times before, but not in almost a decade; my husband has never been there. We're pretty fit, and both walks are 6-13 miles a day, so that's not the deciding factor.

The choices:

1) South Tuscany (buonconvento, bagno vignoni, montalcino, pienza, possibly montepulciano)

2) Chianti (siena, dievole, gaiole-in-chianti,panzano, strada-in-chianti,florence)

I'd love to hear opinions, especially if you've been to both!

Best,

Melissa

PS: I've also posted on fodors message boards; my apologies if you read this twice!

Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
539 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Tuscany walk!

Hello mmb23

What a wonderful plan! I envy you!

Both areas are beautiful and although we haven't done this kind of hiking (miles each day) we have done some hiking in both places and neither seems particularly more or less challenging than the other.

Our landscape preference is southern Tuscany for the wide open panoramas. We love the scenery around monalcino, pienza and montpulciano. The wild flowers in those fields should be breathtaking in April. The hill towns are wonderful any time and never seem to be over crowded (even mid summer!).

In Chianti more trees and vineyards cover the hills. Also lovely and many stunning vistas. But I am always frustrated when driving thru Chianti because the heavy foliage along the roads often obstructs open views. Hiking, of course, provides more access! We also find many of the Chianti villages more commercial than those in southern Tuscany (forgive me for saying that outloud - but that is our experience. The villages are STILL very charming however ... but sometimes the restaurants seems a bit less authentic and all the menus/signs are in english and german as well as Italian)

What ever your choice - have a fantastic time!

boston, ma
Level Contributor
94 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Tuscany walk!

Hi there. Have you checked out Lonely Planet's Walking in Italy book? Unfortunately, I don't think it has your Walk 1 in it (I was trying to mesh a path together from maps) but it does have something similar to Walk 2.

We ended up walking San Gimignano to Volterra, which the book did talk about. There is also an additional day we did not do - Certaldo to San Gimignano. If you are interested in this hike, send me a message and I can provide you more info.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Tuscany walk!

Hallo

Choose the 1st option !

Ciao

venice
Level Contributor
509 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Tuscany walk!

in the last weekend I visit all chianti area.......

there's no story...better montalcino hills !!!!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Tuscany walk!

Melissa, what a sweet pain to decide between these options!

I'll have to fully second NH13's opinions, so nothing new from me.

Take a look at photographs of both regions and try to decide if you prefer Chianti or Vino Nobile / Brunello.

In any case, the more south you go the less touristy it will be.

Can't help, being a fan of Val d'Orcia (and return in nov)

6. Re: Help with Tuscany walk!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, September 08, 2009