We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mercedes Vito 9 seater too big for Tuscan roads?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
Mercedes Vito 9 seater too big for Tuscan roads?

Hi, we are a group of 5 adults and a 3-yr-old kid, planning to travel around Tuscany while staying in a farm house from 30 August to 4 September.

I, the driver, have not driven on the left before and only drive autos. It seems that the combined requirement of a big and auto vehicle means that I have few, if any, choices from car rental companies. The only suitable vehicle I can find is a "Mercedes Vito, 9 seater Full-size Auto with AirCon or similar".

I just wonder whether this vehicle is too big/awkward for Tuscan roads, or is it just fine? Or should I forget this idea and rent two small cars instead?

Thanks.

venice
Level Contributor
509 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mercedes Vito 9 seater too big for Tuscan roads?

It's ok

all organized tuscany tours are with that type of vehicles and locals usually use big jeep.....

hi

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mercedes Vito 9 seater too big for Tuscan roads?

Thanks!!!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
299 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mercedes Vito 9 seater too big for Tuscan roads?

With 6 adults and 2 kids we rented a Renualt Traffic 9 seat minivan from

http://www.car-rental-italy.com/

the link to the 9 seater page is

http://www.car-rental-italy.com/9mini.htm

Sixt was the actual rental company. The van had a gps installed and we drove that thing all over! The farmhouse roads to our villas were windy steep and usually dirt, the van did an excellent job!

It was not too large for any of the tuscan towns we visited, but of course, we did not drive into historic centers. Usually you are not allowed anyway, so just find a lot and walk in.

Van has great big windows, easy to drive and great for passengers...

Hope that helps!

Drake

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mercedes Vito 9 seater too big for Tuscan roads?

it would be great if an auto version is available :-(

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mercedes Vito 9 seater too big for Tuscan roads?

The Vito is smaller than the Traffic. We love the Vito! We have six of us with lots o luggage, and its big enough, but not too big. the problem with the 6 seaters is that the boot is tiny. We tried a renault espace, but its really only a people mover, no luggage. the VW Transporter is another one we rent, but it is larger, fitting 3 adults across the front seat. vitos are hard to find, so if you can get one, take it!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mercedes Vito 9 seater too big for Tuscan roads?

One more thing. Many car rental companies offer more than 1 location in Florence for pick-up or return. We are planning to pick up the vehicle and drive out of the city to the farm house in Tuscany. Would any particular office location be more convenient for this? Thanks.

7. Re: Mercedes Vito 9 seater too big for Tuscan roads?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, August 21, 2009