We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Taormina a bit overpriced... or is it that good???

Labrador City...
Level Contributor
98 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Is Taormina a bit overpriced... or is it that good???

Reviewing some hotels in Taormina. When compared to the rest of Sicily, and even other Italian areas, the prices seem a bit high! I don't mind paying for it, but I'm starting to wonder if Taormina is a bit too "Swanky" or "Posh" for my interests? Is it one of these overpriced cities, just because it can be, and there is a culture of people that love paying for it? Or am I paying $300 for a hotel room because it's actually that good!

Any suggestions? I got 3 nights in the area, and I love staying in rustic towns, with a personality. A good restaurant or two nearby also helps! And I would need parking!

Maybe Taormina is not where I should be staying... I'm open to suggestions, for areas close by!

Most of the hotels seem to have big pools, and other amenities that I have no use for!

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Hotel Villa Ducale
Hotel Villa Ducale
#1 of 87 hotels in Taormina
Hotel Villa Carlotta
Hotel Villa Carlotta
#2 of 87 hotels in Taormina
Hotel Villa Belvedere
Hotel Villa Belvedere
#3 of 87 hotels in Taormina
Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Taormina a bit overpriced... or is it that good???

SLaing,

I only stayed in Taormina 1 nt and that was enough for me. It's a very pretty town, but it is jam-packed with tourists, many disgorged from the cruise ships as Taormina is a destination on every cruise (or so it seems). Hence the prices. In less than 24 hours I had time to stroll the main street, visit the theatre, wander a few back streets, enjoy a leisurely lunch and dinner. The shops are very tourist oriented and very, very high priced.

My hotel was Hotel Taodomus which has a great location and wonderful views from the roof top terrace where breakfast was served. Service at the hotel is excellent, but be forewarned the rooms are TINY. I didn't care since my visit was only one night.

I think your trip includes Siracusa. I stayed on Ortigia while in Siracusa and absolutely loved the island. Even though it also gets a lot of visitors, it retains its charm and doesn't seem overwhelmed with tourists. I was there for 3 nts at B&B la via della Guidecca and could have stayed 5 nts. It was wonderful and there is much to see. Easy to see the arch park and museums in Siracusa via bus or walk from the island.

Buon viaggio!

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Hotel Taodomus
Hotel Taodomus
935 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
419 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Taormina a bit overpriced... or is it that good???

Looking forward to Vagabonda's response

Labrador City...
Level Contributor
98 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Taormina a bit overpriced... or is it that good???

Thanks for the feedback! I didn't want to sound insulting when I asked the question! Hopefully I didn't!

I usually expect to pay around $150 to $200 CAD, for a room, but the average price in Taormina seems much higher.... I'm kind of wondering why? Also wondering if I didn't stay here would I be missing out on something that I could just as easily get from a day visit to the town.

Don't me wrong, I'm far from cheap..... I just don't spend money on things that don't appeal to me! Like most people! Taormina sounded appealing but I'm reading everywhere that the place us ridiculously high priced.... Everything from hotels, restaurants and shops.

I looked at Siracusa as we'll.... Briefly! Then I wrote this forum question. I actually looked at the same hotel in Taormina, as it was the cheapest I could find at $200 CAD a night.

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Labrador City...
Level Contributor
98 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Taormina a bit overpriced... or is it that good???

I was planning on using Taormina as a base for 3 days!

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
new jersey
Level Contributor
144 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Taormina a bit overpriced... or is it that good???

We stay in Taormina every time we visit Sicily. I do not find that it is any more expensive than visiting Rome or Venice. Nice thing about Taormina is that the cruise tourist are out by late afternoon, The main street is all you need for shops and restaurants and most hotels are in walking distance. Hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,800 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Taormina a bit overpriced... or is it that good???

Taormina is Sicily’s top tourist resort destination.

Taormina is a beautiful town with the strongest infrastructure for tourism in Sicily. Taormina has the most top rated hotels of any destination in Sicily. Because of the hill town landscape, not too many hotels in Taormina have pools.

But although Taormina is Sicily’s most expensive town, Taormina is still a good value when compared to resort towns on mainland Italy, and it is possible to stay in Taormina without staying at one of its 5-star hotels.

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,800 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Taormina a bit overpriced... or is it that good???

And yes, Taormina is that good, a charming mediaeval hill town with a phenomenal Teatro Greco, views of the sea and Mount Etna, and a 3-star Michelin rating.

…michelin.com/web/…Italy-Sicily-Taormina

But Taormina isn't necessarily for everyone!

Taormina is touristy with a high ratio of tourists to locals, so if you'd like to mingle with locals, or if you'd like to experience typical Sicilian life, Taormina wouldn’t be your destination. It would equate to comparing your hometown to a top holiday destination.

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
419 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Taormina a bit overpriced... or is it that good???

I'm enjoying following this conversation, I'm planning on spending 3 nights in Taormina but am a little hesitant after the nightmare of those God awful cruise ships in Venice. I'm hoping Taormina isn't quite so overrun with cruise ship passengers. Although I know they all dissapear in the late afternoon.

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,800 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Taormina a bit overpriced... or is it that good???

Hi Cohunagirl,

Track the cruise schedule - shipsofmessina.altervista.org/Scali_2014.pdf

Vagabonda

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Taormina a bit overpriced... or is it that good???

I'm still in doubt whether I prefer Taormina or Cefalù as the most charming town. We really liked both (we were also pleasanty surprised by Trapani). Taormina has its cruiseship passengers, Cefalù has its tourbus tourists. They all disappear in the evening, after which both towns are for the tourists who stay there and for the locals.

IMO Cefalù is less posh than Taormina. I never felt the need to dress up for dinner as I did in Taormina. And prices in Taormina are definitely higher than elsewhere in Sicily, both for hotels and for restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Trapani
Trapani
Sicily, Italy
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Get answers to your questions about Taormina
Recent Conversations