We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taormina from Messina cruise terminal....

Which Taormina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
Taormina from Messina cruise terminal....

Our cruise ship will be in Messina 8:00-5:00 pm on a Sunday in Sept. I'd like to visit Taormina preferably on my own during this port call. But having read all the posts regarding the difficulty of going and coming back using public transport, I think my best option is to take a tour offered by the boat. This one involves just transporting people to the town and back. Once in Taormina we have about 4 hours to do our own thing. Is there sufficient time to go around the town, go to the theater and have lunch and do some shopping? From what I'm reading from reviews of previous tours, there's an elevator that will take us to the town, or one can climb the steps or something. Can't the buses go all the way to near the town's center? Is the climb steep? The cost of the tour is 70 dollars which I consider unreasonable, but unfortunately this is the only workable option.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taormina from Messina cruise terminal....

Welcome to Sicily Caramuru!

Sundays re not optimal for Transport from Messina, so if your cruise offers a transport only option from Messina to Taormina, certainly take it!

You'll love your four hours in Taormina on your own!

The bus will head directly to Taormina's bus station located near Porta Messina on via L. Pirandello across from the funivia.

planetware.com/map/taormina-map-i-taor.htm

gotaormina.com/en/…public_transport.html

Messina - Mid May:

tripadvisor.com/…40342072

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

2. Re: Taormina from Messina cruise terminal....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, July 25, 2014